Ideas on Chair's Age?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by ElizabethLeanne, May 29, 2019.

1. ElizabethLeanne

ElizabethLeanne New Member

Whoop, my first post!

I apologize for the lack of photos, I will get some more detailed ones as soon as I am able.

I had this piece come in a little while back, and I was wondering if anyone had an approximate age or any insight on this chair? Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting it to be of high value LOL! I'm just really intrigued and would like to know more if anyone has any info! Thanks!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Michael77 and scoutshouse like this.
  2. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

[welcome to the party!]

I could be way off here, but the second photo, bottom left, appears to have writing [well, an impression in the wood], FEB 8 1873.

I'm going to edit this thing to death...has PAT'D above that date, so may not accurately date the actual piece. Rather, the ratcheting mechanism to control the tilt of the backrest.

The furniture people should be of greater assistance.

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

You can read this?!

upload_2019-5-29_12-19-12.png

sabre123 likes this.
  4. ElizabethLeanne

Thank you so much Sabre!

I barely had any time to take a look at it before I had to cut and run from the shop, so I didn't realize the printing in the second photo until after I had the pics in my phone and was a home LOL.

After you saying Feb 8 1873, I can now totally see that If you wouldn't have said that, I would not have been able to read that text by the pic hahaha!

Any Jewelry and sabre123 like this.
  5. Dawnno

Dawnno Well-Known Member

Great spot... and, the date is very useful, since the Patent also EXPIRES (formerly in 17 years) so the use of the date on the mechanism then can give you an approx range, since no mfr would go to the trouble of marking an expired patent. So 1873 - 1890 or so, if the mechanism was put on during the time the chair was made, and so it would appear.

I would speculate 'earlier than later' in the range, just b/c improvements always come along.

Any Jewelry, Michael77 and sabre123 like this.
  6. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

lol...I think my brain is just in tune to looking for/seeing dates on things I see at estate sales. Typically with a loupe or the magnifier on my phone.

Any Jewelry, Dawnno and Bronwen like this.
  7. Dawnno

Dawnno Well-Known Member

Duh. never thought of that. learned some more great stuff here.

Bronwen likes this.
  8. Bronwen

Guess I can attribute many of my cameo 'finds' to having a sharper & more knowledgeable eye than others when it comes to signatures, in a similar way.

sabre123, silverthwait and Dawnno like this.
  9. ElizabethLeanne

Ahh thank you guys, that's a huge help!! I'm not too experienced in this sort of thing, but it's extremely intriguing & I've had fun silently stalking the boards. ;)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Dawnno and Bronwen like this.
  10. Dawnno

Dawnno Well-Known Member

... as well as all the 'fakes' I've bought...

upload_2019-5-29_12-39-50.png

Bronwen likes this.
  11. Bronwen

The word at the top looks like 'Patented' abbreviated to 'Pat'd'. Not necessarily the year the chair was made.

Dawnno likes this.
  12. Bronwen

I've misjudged photos my share of times. But I know when I'm certain & when I'm not & will not venture as much $ in the latter case as in the former. All in all, I'm ahead. :)

Dawnno likes this.
  13. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

So, it looks to be kind of a "reclining rocker", am I somewhat correct??

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  14. ElizabethLeanne

That's what I've been thinking of it as! When looking that up (in as many different phrases as I could), I couldn't find one that adjust and has the notches in the bottom like this one. I haven't tried adjusting the back.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  15. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Yep, a ratcheting "reclining" rocker ca. 1890s. Very unusual arms; don't think I've seen the like before. This reclining system was commonly used in Craftsman furniture as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted