Featured Identification help needed

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Antiquesearcher, May 26, 2018.

1. IMG_20180526_091523.jpg Hello everyone,

I am new on this forum. I am looking for information on a specific antique diamond and enamel gold brooch for a friend of mine. We thought it was by Boucheron but Boucheron Paris have looked at it and they say it is extremely close to the Boucheron quality and are baffled because it can't be Boucheron based on the colourscheme. It is entirely period correct they said. I hope someone can help me identify this. We would love to know who made it.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  2. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

3. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Welcome on Antiquers :joyful:
    Any chance to see the back of the brooch, to examine the stones settings and clasp?
    I agree the colours aren't consistent with usual end of 19th Frederic Boucheron plique a jour insects wings. Maybe a later piece, but if they said it is not by them...:nailbiting:

4. IMG-20180526-WA0004.jpg IMG-20180526-WA0005.jpg IMG-20180526-WA0004.jpg IMG-20180526-WA0005.jpg Thx!

Sure, here it is. It has Ruby eyes and the diamonds are old rose cut.

5. kyratango

Thanks!
    Please, could you edit your post and click on full image for your uploaded pics, il will be more convenient to see for all ;)

Any Jewelry and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. Done!

Any Jewelry and Christmasjoy like this.

7. Done!

kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. kyratango

GREAT JOB!;)
    The roll over clasp is relatively modern, I think the brooch is very well made, quality work for sure.
    For comparison for those interested to see, here is a Boucheron art nouveau era cicada brooch (halas, not showing the back...)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'm thinking Italian mid-century, but this is only a feeling:shy:
    Still searching for others:peeking:;)

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. Here is one similar by Boucheron but with diamonds inlay in the neck and blue sapphire inlay on the wings instead of enamel. IMG_20180526_113315.png

10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, Antiquesearcher.
    Wonderful brooch, absolutely gorgeous. Could you ask your friend to check with a loupe for tiny gold marks? They could be hidden anywhere, or be on the pin. Assay and other marks could be a clue to the origin, even if there is no clear maker's mark.

11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Do we know what the genuine marks actually look like ???
    to compare...

Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. kyratango

If French, it should have (on the stem or the catch or one edge) at least the eagle's head french hallmark for 18k gold. No Boucheron signature as they said it is not their work, but perhaps a maker's mark in a lozenge:)
    [​IMG]

French maker's mark exemple on left:
    Initials and a symbol beware, those are REALLY tiny!
    [​IMG]

pearlsnblume, Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  13. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Interesting as well as pretty. A relatively modern rollover clasp, but older cut diamonds.

kyratango likes this.
  14. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The type of cut means nothing,rose cut diamonds are still being cut in India and easily found.

15. These are old rose cut diamonds from the same period as the brooch so we have been told by some diamond experts.

16. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

That's interesting since the diamonds in your photos are not rose cut,they are round brilliant cut and the table is plainly visible.

kyratango likes this.
  17. Hey don't shoot the messenger, I am no expert...

18. Huntingtreasure

Huntingtreasure Well-Known Member

While looking at photo with bottom side up, there is a circular impression on top right leg, near the bend. Is that anything if you look with a loupe?

19. I am not sure but I think that is just a reflection of the light. I would have to look at it next time I see it again.

Huntingtreasure likes this.
  20. Huntingtreasure

Huntingtreasure Well-Known Member

BBD82BDB-8270-4EAE-8535-6C2664846E8E.jpeg Just so you know where I mean to look.

Draft saved Draft deleted