Featured Identification/how old is this English? Bureau/Desk

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Frank_138, Aug 24, 2020.

1. Frank_138

Frank_138 Member

Hello Everyone!
    My name is Frank, I am from Germany and this is my first post here. Please forgive me any misspelling or "funny" english - english is not my first language.

I don't know much about antique furniture but bought some pieces over the years whenever I saw something I liked and I thought it would be a good deal. Now I found this nice forum and maybe your collective knowledge can help me to find out what I have and how old the furniture might be - maybe also value, even though I am not intending to sell anything.

This bureau/desk was purchased by the previous owner in England in the 1990ies. It is 101 cm / 39.8 inch high, 96 cm / 37.8 inch wide and 50 cm / 19.7 inch
    deep.

Thanks in advance!
    IMG_7307.JPG IMG_7310.JPG IMG_7302.JPG IMG_7304.JPG IMG_7306.JPG IMG_7307.JPG IMG_7310.JPG IMG_7318.JPG
    IMG_7302.JPG IMG_7304.JPG IMG_7306.JPG

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Frank, this is an international forum with many members who are not native-English speakers. No reason at all to be self-conscious. You're very welcome here.

Debora

3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Frank,
    Welcome to the board. Your desk is wonderful I would like to be able to give it house room.
    greg

4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Just a guess ,but I think it might be George the 3rd ,English,maybe 1820 . Very nice piece .

5. Frank_138

Frank_138 Member

Thanks for the nice welcome and your answers.

I was pretty sure the desk is a real antique - just don't know exactly from which period.

Looking forward to more opinions.

6. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Hi Frank!

That's a handsome piece.

I've got an unhealthy infatuation with antique brass pulls and hardware, and I love those Chippendale pulls and escutcheons on this piece.

Can you tell if there was something else there, originally? Could be nothing, but it looks like there's a dark area on the wood right in the middle of each pull, as if something else had been mounted there. Just curious...

Fid, pearlsnblume, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  7. Frank_138

Frank_138 Member

Yes, at one point there was definitely something else mounted. (see photo of inside of one drawer)

When I bought this desk it was exactly like shown on the posted photos.

IMG_7333.JPG

yourturntoloveit and sabre123 like this.
  8. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

What a stunning desk! The drawers and the brassware are lovely. I wish I had a writing bureau like that.

9. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Thank you.

Keep checking back for more replies as people come and go at all hours around the world.

10. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

Oh my gosh, that is a beautiful desk.

11. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Nice! Brasses have been replaced twice, and feet may be replacement also. A look at the back and underneath can help decide whether feet are replaced. I'll defer to the British members to indicate age since I'm from the US. Thankfully it looks like have found a use for it (and your impressive collection of magic markers)!

sabre123 and Frank_138 like this.
  12. Shangas

Bureaus, secretaries and rolltop desks are very popular among pen-collectors. They use the drawers and cubbyholes to organise their collections of pens, inks, stationery and accessories.

Tanya and sabre123 like this.
  13. Tom Mackay

Tom Mackay Well-Known Member

14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

What would the original brasses have looked like?

Debora

15. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Welcome! Or Wilkommen if you prefer. This is an international forum, with lots of users who speak more than one language. (and a lot of Americans who according to the rest don't speak English.) I bet the desk had teardrop pulls on it originally.

This page has a lot of different designs. The "Eastlake" ones are later, but it might have had something in all brass.
    https://www.houseofantiquehardware.com/drop-pulls

Frank_138 likes this.
  16. Frank_138

Frank_138 Member

Thanks for all the comments.

I like this Desk very much, but when I brought it home it was immediately claimed by my wife. She likes it a lot and is using it regularyly for writing and drawing.

17. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

ya..1st thing I noticed....too !

sabre123 likes this.
  18. P&J0815

P&J0815 New Member

Absolutely stunning!

19. VintageAlways

VintageAlways Active Member

That’s so beautiful! I wonder why the pulls were switched out many times?

20. Shangas

I imagine that the constant pulling and pushing on the drawer pulls wore out the threads or something, so they had to be replaced.

VintageAlways likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted