Featured Identification of this Japanese doll?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Christopher Becker, Jan 8, 2023.

1. Christopher Becker

Christopher Becker New Member

I got this from my gran she told me she received it from japan as a gift for her Birth day and she passed away a few years ago at the age of 89 so it must be very old the detail is amazing. I have not removed her from her glass case or opened her for over 8 years now. would like to identify her with out messing some thing up or damaging any of the material. Any help would be amazing thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

wlwhittier, judy and 916Bulldogs123 like this.
  2. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

Your pics are not showing. Could you post pics directly to the thread using upload a file button?
    And Welcome Christopher
    Mikey

judy likes this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

This is a cropped and resized photo.
    002.jpg

4. 916Bulldogs123

Vintage 1960s-1970s Hat dance Geisha.
    She is very pretty. So I assume for a Birthday, not for her birth?

5. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

A zip file? I wonder if OP tried to post the pic, got the "too big" error, and then compressed it.

I remember my dad picking up one of these for me on a business trip during the 70's. Not exactly the same one but similar. I wish I knew what happened to it - though being encased with glass, it probably got broken along the way.

judy, Bakersgma and Figtree3 like this.
  6. 916Bulldogs123

I have one with a music box inside the base. I'm sure it was glass encased at one time but before I bought it. I have a small collection of Japanese dolls..
    Mikey

7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Oh, too bad I didn't know that for the Secret Santa giveaway! My mother is a doll collector and she has a few Japanese ones. I actually considered asking her if she would sell me one (or even donate one) but didn't think of it until after I mailed your items.

judy, bercrystal and 916Bulldogs123 like this.
  8. 916Bulldogs123

I have a few of these accidental collections. Just happens, Can't understand why lol.

9. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

I have a collection of Japanese dolls, too!
    I think they reproduce in my cabinet.

I think this one might be even later, 1980s.

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

so it must be very old......

why.....which birthday.....???

if she got it for her 65th birthday.....then it's from the 90's.......

BoudiccaJones, judy and stracci like this.
  11. tie.dye.cat

Aha, now I think I know where mine went! ;)

Figtree3, komokwa and stracci like this.
  12. tie.dye.cat

I'm not sure if OP will be back, but here's a link to lots of examples. Looks like OP's is a bit faded in color.

shorturl.at/ceyAY

komokwa likes this.
  13. Christopher Becker

thanks sorry new to this. see the guy below helped me out...what a champ

tie.dye.cat and moreotherstuff like this.
  14. Christopher Becker

any one know of some one i can send pictures to so i can get it evaluated i am looking to sell this doll

15. komokwa

Vintage 1980's Japanese Hat Dance Geisha Doll with Seven Hats

Celebrates the Japanese Flower Hat Dance - Hamagasa Festival at Yamagata City, Japan

another says bought in Japan in 1974.......

Looks like a nishi doll, generally made for tourists after WWII. No one knows if the company is still in operation or not, but some of these are worth a couple hundred dollars. The taller the better, smaller newer ones are generally only worth about $20. If it is a nishi there should be a nishi & co. sticker on the bottom,

$25 to $ 250 ....asking prices..

https://www.goantiques.com/huge-japanese-geisha-47017929

.asking $250........
    [​IMG]

your doll does not have a signed wood plaque......so likely an unknown maker.

The ones with cases seem to get better asking prices & 17 inch is a good size but not the tallest...

There is no site I know of that will value your doll with just a photo.....for free !

You have to do the work to find a fair market price on your doll , & we've given you a really......really awesome start .......!

good luck...

Figtree3, kentworld and stracci like this.
  16. komokwa

17. tie.dye.cat

You can look on ebay using terms relevant to your doll: red, porcelain, japanese, geisha (though I don't know if this is even a correct term here, but some are using it), vintage, porcelain, glass case, etc.

Then click the box "sold" on the left hand side.

I found quite a few on etsy and ebay, and given just how plentiful they are, I think the higher prices are beyond ambitious (unless your doll has something theirs doesn't). I found zero sold ones that are the same style as yours even at lower prices like $25-35.

Appraisal services charge $$; I don't see it being worth it to have it even appraised, unless, again, there's something extra special about yours that's not on the others. There's just too many of these out there to be worth very much.

komokwa likes this.
  18. MadAVTech

MadAVTech New Member

I received this as a child from my grandparents along with a sword my grandfather he brought it back from Japan when he was in Army or there.Can someone help me identify it? RenderedContent-52A9FC0F-6A0C-4599-864F-BB278AF8379F.jpeg RenderedContent-88FADC6E-F3F5-45FF-B49D-4691CD098779.jpeg RenderedContent-25931A2D-8393-4CDC-B4DE-C14CE92AC302.jpeg RenderedContent-77D607DB-5247-45D6-ACD3-A0BBEE8BD448.jpeg RenderedContent-17F91760-F3AE-476F-83EA-A1FF5ADCED12.jpeg

19. komokwa

post the sword in the military forum...

wait.....ur grandpa gave you a sword...when u were a child ???

Figtree3 likes this.
  20. Greg Laskaris

Greg Laskaris New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted