Identification: Pre-1950's Unsigned Chanel Costume Jewelry?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by MAGDELLAS, Mar 5, 2017.

?

Real Chanel?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. MAGDELLAS

MAGDELLAS Member

Hello Members,

I hope there is someone out there who is familiar with Coco Chanel vintage costume jewelry. I've done my research online and from what I've read, Chanel started making costume jewelry in 1932. The pieces were unsigned up until around the 1950's. This bracelet was purchased from an antique collectors estate and I have not been able to find anything to identify it. I also read that authenticating the unsigned pieces would be difficult since they are very rare. Thank you in advance.

“Chanel jewelry has been signed in a variety of ways over the years,” notes Krakowski. “Each decade has slight variations that help to establish authenticity and period. The earliest pieces dating from 1932 are not signed and present the most significant challenge when it comes to authentication. These pieces are very rare in the market. The design, craftsmanship and condition are the most valuable elements to look at when authenticating a piece of unsigned Chanel jewelry that is suspected to be dated prior to 1950.”

16938572_10210933796353627_1109018138116475450_n.jpg 17103774_10210933796433629_8499425301693440858_n.jpg 17155389_10210933796313626_8991224758792327901_n.jpg 17155429_10210933797113646_4408364536794085392_n.jpg

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
    KingofThings likes this.
  2. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

I have seen that style from Chanel, but the quality doesn't seem correct to me. But since I do not have it in hand, I can't really give an opinion.

Aquitaine and KingofThings like this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It doesn't "smell" like it to me, the quality isn't there, but you never know.

KingofThings and MAGDELLAS like this.
  4. MAGDELLAS

MAGDELLAS Member

Thank you, I thought the same thing as well. It's definitely a costume jewelry piece and not one of their finer jewelry pieces. Just not sure.

KingofThings likes this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i can't say if these are real....but for comparison ....

[​IMG][​IMG]

MAGDELLAS and KingofThings like this.
  6. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

You've forgotten to use the full image button....
    :)

7. MAGDELLAS

MAGDELLAS Member

It also needs the
    Wow! Thank you, I can see the C's on my piece are more rounded and the hinge is different. Very cool, would you mind if I ask where you found these online?

8. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Without having any of these in the hand, from the photos, none look authentic, neither the OP's nor the links. The way the gold finish has worn through on the white one, the cut lines on the OP's etc. I just wouldn't expect that from what would have been a top of the line expensive costume piece when new. But helpful to see the links --perhaps other versions of what a fake looks like, and as Komokwa stated, not being shown as authentic, but just for comparison.

It's definitely a costume jewelry piece and not one of their finer jewelry pieces.

All authentic Chanel has is finer pieces.

Chanel is one of the most counterfeited companies --right up there w/Rolex watches, etc.

Aquitaine likes this.
  9. komokwa

ummm google ...... coco chanel snakeskin bangle......

it's not where i found them but how i found them....
    the key is using the right search words.....
    you'll find them and several other pics......but knowing if these ...any of these are genuine.....that's another matter....!
    good luck !!!

MAGDELLAS likes this.
  10. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

The second the notion that the "C's" look wrong...too skinny.

MAGDELLAS likes this.
  11. MAGDELLAS

MAGDELLAS Member

Interesting, there are a few variations of this bracelet and none of them can be authenticated.

12. komokwa

There's a RED FLAG right there..!! :inpain:

Aquitaine likes this.
  13. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

Sheesh, that should be "I second the notion..." :pigeon::pigeon::pigeon:

14. MAGDELLAS

MAGDELLAS Member

Yes tough one to research , apparently anything unsigned pre-1950's is pretty much difficult to authenticate.

15. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

For authentication, they are talking about pieces that as a base line, would have the following attributes:

1) Would need to be pre-1950's in style and design. (If all post-1950's Chanel pieces are signed.)
    2) Would be of the highest quality, extreme attention to detail.
    3) Possibly have "Chanel" design similarities, lines, etc.

All of those attributes would have to be met before a discussion would even take place as to whether to authenticate an unsigned piece as Chanel.

If an item doesn't have all of those attributes, no authentication is needed.

As a side note, Wikipedia says that the interlocking CC logo started in the early 1980's (not sure if that is correct, but would be something to check.)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    MAGDELLAS likes this.
  16. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Inferior quality aside, the OP's bracelet is not Chanel's logo.

Draft saved Draft deleted