Identify 3D crocheted mat, handmade?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Renee Yancy, Oct 23, 2021.

1. Renee Yancy

Renee Yancy Active Member

g3.jpg g4.jpg I would like to find out exactly what to call this type of crochet, and also get some opinions on whether it is hand made. I think it is, but I'm not sure. It's about 24" long. The crocheted grapes have a three dimensional effect. g1.jpg g2.jpg

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

3. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

Hi Renee...
    Yes, definitely handmade. Pretty! It looks like it is in good condition also!

I think this would have to be called a "mixed" lace piece as the grapes and leaves are "Irish crochet" and the tapey part is "Hairpin" lace. Both worked with a crochet hook. However the hairpin lace also employs a curved wire or device which allows a wider stitch with the connection in the middle. 528ca84e71702926b6cc21a0b958ddfa.jpg The photo shows stitches being made on a larger scale - but the concept is the same with something your size.

Irish crochet is known for it's bold dimensional elements. The two techniques look very nice together!

Thanks for sharing!
    Leslie

Draft saved Draft deleted