Identify an artist, possibly Bruce Crane.

Discussion in 'Art' started by afantiques, Nov 11, 2014.

1. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

1-P1040087.JPG While riffling through some old papers, arty Edwardian in tone, I found a manuscript letter headed with a little sketch in ink and wash, and signed with a rebus. It was dated 1910 and the contents did not provide any clues.

I thought the rebus might represent a crane, craning its neck, so I looked for artists called Crane and came up with Bruce Crane. He's not the only C.1910 Crane of course, but I wonder if the style or signature means anything to anyone.

The little sketch seems quite competent. And someone thought the letter worth keeping for more than 100 years.

I may well be entirely wrong about everything.

1-P1040088.JPG

1-P1040089.JPG

It was only when looking at the photo that I realised the paper had an embossed address, 5 Mandeville Place, London W.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  2. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

It certainly looks like some sort of bird, but has that tail thing going on. Do any cranes have that type of tail?

3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I think its a woman. Drinking ,smoking a pipe,wearing pants,short hair etc,possibly a suffragette ?

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  4. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

It's a worthy artist's doodlings.
    =)
    I cannot guess about the birdie!

5. antidiem

Johnny, I was just thinking it looked very girly for a drinking man!

6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I don't think it's a woman. Maybe a dandy. Maybe a French Dandy. If we are talking about the same Crane (American landscapist), he did spend time at an artist colony in France: Grez-sur-Loing. The Wikipedia source doesn't give dates, but I get the impression that period would have been before 1910, maybe before 1900, but if this was a letter to some acquaintance from that period....

For a dedicated follower of fashion, that might have been the very image of an aesthete. Maybe it was meant as a portrait of a mutual acquaintance.

The Mandeville address is currently a hotel, and may have been back then (can't find any history). Could have been a trip to London that involved some sort of reunion with following letters.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  7. Alec Sutton

Alec Sutton Active Member

Just curious. Not a fashion maven. I associate the man's outfit with students or bohemians of the 1820s & 30s.

8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I suppose questions on dandy-ism might be answered at dandyism.net. I haven't searched.

10. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

That's a woman,perhaps dressed in an old sailors costume . Maybe the bottle on the arm is referencing a party? Id love to read the letter too . :)

11. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

12. antidiem

Ok so we all want to read the letter.

Does it say "Bruce" anywhere?
    The siggy looks much like a "W" or "V" to start it off, of course it could be a flourish.

Hi Robert! Nice to e-see you here. =)

13. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Antidiem,
    I am so glad you are doing better and have time to post here.
    greg

antidiem likes this.
  14. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Here si the letter, quite large pictures

1-P1040091.JPG
    Page 2

1-P1040092.JPG

15. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Whomever was the artist, he/she provided the prototype for Katharine Hepburn's iconic style!

antidiem and yourturntoloveit like this.
  16. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

"Why do the common people wear pink?"

Evidently these correspondents do not consider themselves to be "the common people".

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  17. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Dear Nancy:

Allow me to thank you for your letter which I was charmed to receive.

Rather late you think for this sort of thing. Yes love, twas many days ago… but is it ever too late for a grateful word? Yes think so. I also fear gratitude can be a little late. As the hot rasher of bacon it waxeth sordid with standing.

Why do common people wear pink? As you say, why do they! Perhaps it is a lively and vivid representation of that cheap sentiment peculiar to the lower class.

I mean the rose bud blush spread on the apple cheek, stolen from pink shades of the gentle setting sun… etc. Everything romantic is pink, or ought to be in emotional literature of the cheaper species.

I am so sorry the Sicilian blighters have gone, they certainly are the most splendid people and exciting. There is nothing going just now really, worth the looking for. Good stuff at the repertory theatre. Have you seen 'Justice'?

Go and see 'Justice': it's quite good.

I envy you. You and all the other fortunate people. I envy you I say! You and your equestrian experiences.

Believe me.

Yours

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  18. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

"hot rasher of bacon" ?

"equestrian experiences" instead of "exquisite"?

19. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

So is that a signature before the "stork"?

Does it say, "I envy you, you and your equestrian experiences. Believe me. James" (or maybe not James?)

Any idea what the initials below the sun stand for?

20. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Yes, SIS. "I envy you I say"

But I think that is "Yours" and not James at the end.

Draft saved Draft deleted