Identify foreign gold mark? 14k band

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by spartcom5, Jul 8, 2019.

1. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

You guys are the best when it comes to identifying my unknown gold marks! I hope we can identify this one as well. It is a nice gold band and I would love to know where it comes from. It acid tested at 14k so it is at least 14k. The marks look like SK? or 5K? and then a head of some sort followed by a 3. Any help is appreciated!

Sorry if the picture isn't completely clear, the mark has started to wear down and the pawn shop lighting was hard to work with.
    20190708_160345_resized.jpg 20190708_160309_resized.jpg

judy and Xristina like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

upload_2019-7-8_20-42-44.png

I'm seeing SA/5A. Tried it the other way up, definitely looks more sensible this way.

judy likes this.
  3. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The stamp doesn't look worn down,it looks like it was stamped on a rough unfinished surface before the inside ring shank was sanded/polished.

judy and Bronwen like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Could it be a really badly struck French hallmark? It's bitty enough.

Xristina and Bronwen like this.
  5. Bronwen

I was wondering if it could be Italian & the SA for Salerno. Any possibility the botched mark is 583?

judy likes this.
  6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

upload_2019-7-8_23-19-18.png

I see SK
    Next I see some sort of head and an 8 or 3

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

botched mark is right.........can't make heads or tails out of it.....

8. Bronwen

In this photo I can see what you see. From the earlier photo, think it has to be 3, not 8. Russia/USSR used several different heads over the years, but rest of mark doesn't look like one of theirs.

[​IMG]

Xristina, clutteredcloset49 and judy like this.
  9. spartcom5

Can anyone with a gold hallmark book check out Poland? I found these markings and maybe this could be it? From the 925 forum the head and 3 symbol stands for under ten grams and is of 583 gold purity. The shape of the mark is different however
    2uqlpqf.jpg

Figtree3, cxgirl, Xristina and 4 others like this.
  10. spartcom5

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes, someone can.:)

upload_2019-7-9_13-38-1.jpeg

You found the right country, and the shape of the cartouche is a little further down the first page you found. It is Poland, 1940-1963. The town letter to the left of the head was only used until 1939, yours doesn't seem to have it. The cartouche stayed the same. 3 is for 583, or 14k.

12. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Yes it does. Appears to be part of the "W"
    upload_2019-7-9_8-17-59.png

13. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

@spartcom5 , did you buy this? I notice you said your photos were taken in a pawn shop so assume you were still considering it. If you did buy it, can you see the letter to the left of the head?

Any Jewelry likes this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

With a town letter we can narrow the date down to 1931-1939, and hopefully the town as well. If it is a W, it is Warsaw.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  15. evelyb30

Now if only it had a Hebrew/Yiddish inscription inside; then I'd tell you go grab it and run. As it is, I don't know enough about pre-WWII Polish gold to guess.

kyratango likes this.
  16. Gustavosunidos

Gustavosunidos New Member

Hi. I found your forum ahave a ring that belonged to my Grampa Tabor who was from Germany. This ring has been passed down to me from my mom and I am trying to decipher the coat of arms in Hallmark and makers Mark.
    As the story goes, my grandfather purchased a Jewish man’s possessions to help him to get the money to flee during World War II. It is rumored that there is a menorah that belonged to that man which my grandfather brought with him when he moved to America.
    As there appears to be a Star of David in the crest/coat of arms, I got to wondering if perhaps this ring belonged to that man also.
    If anyone has any ideas for me as to what the aspects of the coat of arms might mean, as well as the Hallmark and makers Mark inside, I would certainly appreciate it!! Thank you so much in advance✨
    -Gus

17. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  18. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

That's a nice story...& I hope it's true....but a German...in possession of a star of david ring....& menorah...that he paid for....during the war.......... that's a lot to wrap yer head around....

Figtree3 likes this.
  19. evelyb30

If the story is true, odds are he had them buried somewhere. You wouldn't dare get caught with those back then.

Draft saved Draft deleted