Identify Limoges Backstamp

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by sandy link, Jun 28, 2021.

1. sandy link

sandy link New Member

DSCN0217.JPG I have a coffee dessert set that I cannot find the maker. It is Limoges. Would love help with this. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2021
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Could you please show us the whole set! Thank you!!:happy::happy:

Bronwen likes this.
  3. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Hello @sandy link & welcome to the forum!! :happy::happy:

Showing us a group photo of the pieces you have may help us date the pieces either by the decorations or the shapes of the pieces.

Also, you might not be aware but Limoges is not a brand it is a city in France & for an item to be marked as Limoges the porcelain must be made in the area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limoges_porcelain

DizzyDaff, Aquitaine and Bronwen like this.
  4. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

5. sandy link

sandy link New Member

Here are a few pics showing style and backstamp on coffee pot. Thanks!
    DSCN0230.JPG
    Thanks,

Attached Files:

Aquitaine and Bronwen like this.
  6. Brian Warshaw

Brian Warshaw Well-Known Member

And I understand that the implication of 'Decorateur' is that the first stage piece would have come from any attributed pottery in the Limoges area, and then completed by the decorateur, be it an individual, partnership or cooperative. In most cases the individuals will never be known, nor even work in Limoges.

dgbjwc likes this.
  7. sandy link

sandy link New Member

8. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

The odds of you finding a maker or the decorator of these pieces is highly unlikely.

You can try searching for limoges gold-encrusted & see if you can find anything like it.

Unfortunately, although it is pretty these types of items are not much in demand these days. People do not entertain like they use to & this type of china should never be put in the dishwasher so that is another strike against them.

9. 7KittyCats

7KittyCats New Member

I may be wrong, but believe this is closest to the Chastagner Limoges Stamp. This will require a bit more research since yours does not have the crown, but this should also help estimate production period. Hope this helps!

Draft saved Draft deleted