identify Rosenthal china pattern?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by fuweige, Feb 9, 2020.

1. fuweige

fuweige New Member

Can anyone help me identify this Rosenthal pattern? This is from a set given to my parents as a wedding gift, early 50s. Any info at all will be appreciated - name of pattern, date, value. Thanks!

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

3. fuweige

fuweige New Member

4. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Form E refers to the blank, but is not the pattern. I looked on the R site and couldn't find this pattern. It is beautiful. I really like Rosenthal mid century designs, so simple and elegant.

5. fuweige

fuweige New Member

Thanks. It's a bit mystifying to me that info about the pattern is so hard to come by.

6. Chris Marshall

Chris Marshall Well-Known Member

Let me elaborate on that: unlike many other countries, Germans were never into "naming" patterns. Germany was one of the first countries that fully adapted double-entry accounting and - based on their historic Prussian background - efficiency was everything.

From early hand-written accounting the matter later developed to typewriter work, however one matter remained: long descriptions and "names" were useless and troublesome to write. Thus factories (and their accountants) were soon used to numeric codes. Small in size, quick to write and internationally usable. One should not forget that factories either had foreign agencies or their own offices which one way or another required marketing material translated into the local lingo. And translators were paid per words/page - while numbers were freebies.

Another matter was the transfer of names between countries. First of all, every pattern name had to be more or less unique and then registered. A long and costly process, especially if you supplied multiple outside markets. But names could be already protected / in use. Or a name did not match what other people knew, e.g. European Winter Barley looks very different from its US equivalent, thus names did not always "match", confusing customers.

Not to forget: translation slip-ups. The German "Maorischnäpper" for example is a pretty bird. On the plate of many an Englishman, a "tomtit" (also slang for solid feces) is of course not so pretty. As result, the Germans did what the were taught to do: they left the "naming", involved research, the involved cost, and all the paperwork to the importers/distributors. If those wanted "names", they should simply work (and pay) towards that themselves. And they did, inventing and creating pattern "names" like there was no tomorrow. So nearly all "names" you know nowadays are flukes: neither "original" nor "unique".

This greatly carried towards the confusion we find on the market today, as each larger importer/distributor started using and registering names for certain patterns. Next to some names which differ even from US East- to US West coast, others are different in Australian, New Zealand or Canada. Our global internet should show this and point out that MULTIPLE "names" might exist for one and the same thing. Replacements.com for example has avoided fact for over twenty years now, holding on to their useless made-up-name-plus-own-stock-code nonsense instead of simply adding all known "names" next to the original producer item code.

Nowadays however they are slowly getting wrapped up in their own web of lies when they try to address and reach customers outside the US as those people tell them off as useless because they own newspaper ads which clearly show different names than are listed on Big R. Bob Page could have had it a lot easier ages ago, but intelligence and money don't always mix well.

And another one: In 2015 Google, Amazon and eBay kicked off a certain initiative. In short it covered the excessive use of bandwidth and storage for "system non-relevant" use, means: data stored on servers which did not create venue but was merely held in backlog for search engines. In many cases up to well over ten years. It was decided to cull those huge amounts of data and add certain algorithms which prevented such collections in future.

Since then, outdated info is really deleted for good, not stored somewhere for search engines to find. Hence the massive increase in HTML 404 "page/image not found" errors on site results for Amazon, eBay, picclick, pinterest, etc. ... when it's gone, it's gone. And this results in far less hits for special searches, unlike five years ago. Back then, searches went sniffing through a huge backlog while searches nowadays only sieve through an relatively stable amount of data sources. Brave new world.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    janetpjohn, SBSVC and quirkygirl like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted