Identify Royal Doulton rare plate

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Jocelyn E, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Jocelyn E

Jocelyn E New Member

Hello, I’ve been tasked with closing the estate of my deceased aunt and was told this plate is quite a rarity. I understand the Royal Doulton stamp places this in the 1920’s. I understand the HB at the top is Herbert Betteley, and the Ra is Robert Allen. The extra “a” at the end of Ra7585a has me puzzled. When I search the H46 pattern I get a similar but not quite the same pattern. There is something embedded/pressed in to the upper left of the RD logo but I can’t determine if it’s numbers, letters or symbols. Can anyone help me determine a pattern and potentially a value?

Attached Files:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upload_2020-2-5_1-16-56.jpeg

nice plate..

upload_2020-2-5_1-17-21.jpeg

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

The pattern is the number as you've already determined. Many early patterns didn't have names.

I came up with the same similar one at Replacements. None in stock, so no help with value.

Welcome to the board. Do check back as people come and go at all hours here.

judy, komokwa, Jocelyn E and 2 others like this.
  4. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Don’t know that it is a rarity as it looks like a plate from a dinner service. And, as we know, porcelain dinner sets, even from the best factories, don’t sell well.

judy and komokwa like this.
  5. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

IMHO, the plate on Replacements is the same pattern. It's an overexposed very poor photo, and the colorful appearance of the individual flowers may just be flash/lighting effect as Replacements description simply states: "Gold Flowers/Scrolls On Cobalt Blue". Theirs is listed as a bread and butter plate, is yours dinner plate size?

Very pretty, but I agree with @kentworld that it appears to be a single plate from a dinner service and is likely to be a difficult sell.

Replacements H46 b'n'b plate:
    [​IMG]

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

tasked with closing the estate of my deceased aunt and was told this plate is quite a rarity

Sorry for your loss.........

exactly who told you this was rare ?
    a Dealer....a plate collector......a family member...?

judy and popsycat like this.
  7. Jocelyn E

Jocelyn E New Member

Yes thanks mine is a dinner plate.

8. Jocelyn E

Jocelyn E New Member

I was told by my aunt that it had been a “sample” pattern and very rare.

9. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum Jocelyn!! :happy::happy:

Many things were considered rare, scarce or even one of a kind at one time. Then the internet happened & what was once considered one of the above was no longer totally true.

For instance, pottery that was produced in Ohio may have been considered a rare finding in Colorado. However in the states surrounding Ohio it was everywhere, but you would not know that unless you traveled there.

With the internet & eBay people soon found what was always considered rare was not so true anymore.

This may have been what happened with your aunt. Also, family history of items often get tangled & confused.

komokwa and Bakersgma like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted