Identify silver maltese cross brooch Reliquary?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Paul Noonan, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Paul Noonan

Paul Noonan New Member

Hello everybody,
    I am stumped what this could be.
    What I do know:
    It is a brooch. :)
    I have had it tested positive silver. I did not get a %.
    I did not test gold inlay on face.
    The design is a maltese cross.
    On the back there is a piece of glass (very slightly loose) over what looks like a stained and repaired piece of cloth that is inside the brooch.
    There is an unusual hallmark on the back edge. Stamped on a diamond or rhombus as follows..
    I
    partial O R with smudged lines after
    I
    Clasp is an open C clasp with a round pin.

Diameter is 1 3/16" 1 1/4 with studs. A very little over 3/16" thick.

This was definitely made to hold something. It looks and feels sealed and is hollow.
    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Sorry if photos are fuzzy. If you need any more just ask.

Thank you,
    Paul

IMG_1529.jpg IMG_1530.jpg IMG_1531.jpg IMG_1533.jpg IMG_1534.jpg IMG_1536.jpg IMG_1538.jpg IMG_1540.jpg IMG_1540.jpg IMG_1541.jpg IMG_1542.jpg

cxgirl likes this.
  2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

The rhomboid mark is a British registered design mark. The style is neo-etruscan with that beaded edge. Period about 1880.
    This type of thing was commonly used to hold a lock of hair or other personal item, including a small photograph or even miniature painting. the holder usually opens by pulling out the rim. It is usually a tight press fit.

The clasp looks as if it has been soldered on over a hallmark so is probably a replacement or a conversion from a pendant.

Not a reliquary in the usual sense. I'd be 99% certain the metal is sterling silver and the gold would most probably be 9 carat.

Not a Maltese cross although the proper term escapes me.

Bakersgma and cxgirl like this.
  3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Victorian Scottish (?) brooch,possibly held a photo or even hair at one point.Our silver guru's can probably id it for you by the registry marks.See above! Sniped again!

4. Paul Noonan

Paul Noonan New Member

Afantiques thank you! Just looked up British design marks and thats dead on. I guess this style of hallmark/design mark was used 1868-1883. This was made the 17 of July 18xx (year missing). Do you think the cloth is there for moisture or just a way to hold an object against the glass? Is this an Avis Cross?

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the cloth is just a backing..

6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

When I saw it my first thought was Celtic.

7. popsycat

popsycat Well-Known Member

The date is the day the design was registered not the date made. It protected the design copyright for a number of years. (I cannot remember how long without looking it up)

clutteredcloset49 and afantiques like this.
  8. komokwa

hey popsy...where ya bin......nice to see you back !

9. popsycat

popsycat Well-Known Member

Been on holiday in Australia, via Hong Kong. Had a great time. Big family get together. Antiques very expensive there. Loved the "op shops"(charity shops) though. If anyone is thinking of going to Australia, do not take any clothes. Just go to a giant op shop and get kitted out for next to nothing. A lot are warehouse sized. Came back to freezing cold and rain brrr! Loved the different birds and wild life. Went to a relatives near to Sydney. Loved Australia. Could happily live there, but now, alas too old.

10. komokwa

Never tooo old....you spring chicken !!!! :happy::happy:

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

A fleur de lis cross, aesthetic movement style, late nineteenth century.
    The fleur de lis cross looks a bit like a Syriac Orthodox cross, the theologian in me would be happy with either name.

Maybe the piece of cloth is the relic?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
    Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted