Featured Identify this Navajo or Zuni "J" Silversmith?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by LoveTheHunt!, Mar 16, 2019.

1. LoveTheHunt!

LoveTheHunt! Well-Known Member

This very plain mark is on the back of a sterling silver Bolo (String) Tie.
    I'm pretty sure this is of Navajo or Zuni origin, but I'd like to do better than that!
    I have a resource that shows a couple of similar marks, but the "STERLING" font is different...
    Also, I'd say the inlaid stones are turquoise and red coral (? - not sure, with this grain in it), and I guess the black would be onyx, but what would the purple bars be?
    Thanx in advance...
    Sterling_Silver-Native_American-Bolo_Tie-Inlaid-J-marks-cr.jpg Sterling_Silver-Native_American-Bolo_Tie-Inlaid-J-bk.jpg Sterling_Silver-Native_American-Bolo_Tie-Inlaid-J-det.jpg

2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Hard to tell from the photos,but it could be Sugilite.

judy, komokwa, LoveTheHunt! and 2 others like this.
  3. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Red material may be spiny oyster not coral but I’m not very knowledgeable about NA jewellery.

judy, Any Jewelry, komokwa and 4 others like this.
  4. LoveTheHunt!

I'm not, either, but I believe you are right! I found examples of Navajo using spiny oyster in jewelry, and it looks spot on.

Houseful, komokwa and i need help like this.
  5. LoveTheHunt!

Here's a closer look at the stones:
    Sterling_Silver-Native_American-Bolo_Tie-Inlaid-J-cu.jpg

judy, komokwa and i need help like this.
  6. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

might check James Livingston Navajo

i need help and LoveTheHunt! like this.
  7. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

There is also a Jason Livingston, Navajo who made inlay pieces.It's just another guessing game of who made me.

judy and LoveTheHunt! like this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The edges look Navajo but the inlay looks Zuni, so.... I'd say spiny oyster shell, sugilite and some really funky turquoise. No idea whodunnit.

judy and LoveTheHunt! like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It has a Navajo look. They have been making channel work for a long time, although it started among the Zuni.
    I agree, the orangy red is spiny oyster, the purple is most likely sugilte, which the Navajo have been using for the last few decades.

The J is just one of the many Navajo who can't be bothered to mark a bit extra.:D
    Almost entire families use the J mark, including many of the Jacksons and some members of the James family. A small clue can be the style of the sterling mark and the position in relation to the J. But I am sure many use that exact combination as well.

Houseful, reader, judy and 1 other person like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted