Identify this piece...Wedgwood/Jasperware??

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Michael Thoman, Nov 1, 2020.

1. Michael Thoman

Michael Thoman New Member

Looking to identify this item. It's large and heavy and beautiful! 26 inches diameter. I was told it's a Wedgwood and at least 80 years old. It has a felt backing so I can't see any marks that might be behind the felt. The only mark I see is on the bottom of the front: "RD NO 38497". Any help or information is greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

judy likes this.
  2. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

judy and i need help like this.
  3. Michael Thoman

Michael Thoman New Member

Oh wow, thanks for that info. Additional files attached.

Attached Files:

4. aaroncab

Unfortunately I think this is a resin casting rather than jasperware.

5. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Not Wedgwood, agree with @aaroncab, those tiny bubbles in the side view are a good indicator of a cast piece, e.g. resin or some other plasticized material.

Bakersgma, John Brassey, judy and 2 others like this.
  6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

7. sassafras

sassafras Well-Known Member

The one on Worthpoint sold for $247.50.

patd8643, i need help and judy like this.
  8. aaroncab

9. Eric Haefli

Eric Haefli Active Member

Great investigative work!!! Very interesting.

10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Was looking and saying "WOW....they screwed into it???".....then read on.....PHEW!!!!

blooey likes this.
  11. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I think maybe it was the purchasers that got screwed ...$750? :jawdrop::muted:

Aquitaine likes this.
  12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

If it's really Incolay they can go for high prices sometimes. We recently had some discussions about Incolay in another thread. True Incolay is NOT made from resin... Although perhaps they use some substance like that to fuse the minerals? See this info on the same site linked above.
    http://www.cowboyindian.com/incolay.htm

Here is our previous discussion. @Bronwen knows about Incolay, and she says here that they do use colorless resin as a binder. (Note, this was in the Laughable eBoo Listings thread and we got off track.) https://www.antiquers.com/threads/laughable-eboo-listings.28501/page-54#post-2419975

13. Eric Haefli

Eric Haefli Active Member

Knowledge benefits everyone. Thank you so much to everyone for sharing insights and experience!

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted