identifying decorative plate, redux - redware

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by LIbraryLady, Jan 23, 2017.

1. LIbraryLady

LIbraryLady Well-Known Member

Brought this hanging plate home bec. the design looks so alive and happy. Have since decided it is "redware." I'd like help determining its origin/age/maker. It appears to have letters or numbers scratched into the backside of the plate. So, also, any guesses on what they are? Thank you in advance.

IMG_0016.JPG IMG_0017.JPG IMG_0021.JPG IMG_0023.JPG IMG_0014.JPG IMG_0014.JPG

2. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Can't make out the lettering, but I'd say, based on the colors, images, and brushwork, that it's mid-20th century Mexican, from Guanajuato.

3. LIbraryLady

Very interesting. I'll look in to that. I had thought U.S.A., so you've given me a new avenue to pursue. Thank you.

4. leeddie

leeddie Well-Known Member

5. LIbraryLady

Taupou had a similar suggestion, so I will head into that direction to research it.

Thank you, leeddie.

6. leeddie

leeddie Well-Known Member

I would search for the following Tlaquepaque or Tonala but would lean towards Tlaquepaque. Good luck.

LIbraryLady likes this.
  7. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Tlaquepaque and Tonala, both in Jalisco, are possibilities. I suggested the state of Guanajuato because the designs on this plate are more open, free-flowing, and less detailed than pottery from Jalisco, and Guanajuato is known for making a similar, but more simple, type of pottery.

If you have access to Amanda Thompson's Ceramica, Mexican Pottery of the 20th Century,
    you can see examples from both areas.

LIbraryLady and leeddie like this.
  8. LIbraryLady

Think I can get that book thru interlibrary loan. Having googled around, I can see some connections.You have both been so helpful. TX.

9. LIbraryLady

Draft saved Draft deleted