Identifying maker's mark

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by MaJa, Jun 24, 2020.

1. MaJa

MaJa Active Member

Dear all,

I have a pair of modern, contemporary cufflinks, 18K yellow gold set with red neritina communis shells. The cufflinks date approximately from the (late) 1990s/(early) 2000s. I guess they are American.
    I have trying to identify the maker and searched various databases, alas to no avail. Maybe I just missed the hallmark...
    Now I'm hoping that someone here will be able to help me.

RtSchn03.JPG RtSchn02.JPG
    RtSchn01.JPG

KSW likes this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

3. MaJa

MaJa Active Member

Thanks, but they are not from Deakin & Francis

Bronwen likes this.
  4. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

@MaJa , where did you get these? The shells are lovely and the 18kt gold is great too of course, but I wonder if these were made by a "marriage" of the cuff link part and the shells? Finding the maker of the metal is key.

Bronwen likes this.
  5. antidiem

6. MaJa

MaJa Active Member

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    Bronwen and antidiem like this.
  7. MaJa

MaJa Active Member

thanks, I haven't checked them/their hallmark yet; there were/are numerous companies that produced this type of cufflinks, some in Italy (but then the hallmarks would be totally different), others in the US, such as Trianon from NYC (but mine are not from Trianon)

Bronwen likes this.
  8. antidiem

Maja, I don't have time this morning to look at the Scully and Scully more closely, but at their prices, I suggest you check! ;)

Please return to let us know what you find! :smug:

Bronwen likes this.
  9. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Most likely the mark is from a findings company which sold to many jewelry making companies.

Bronwen, Any Jewelry and antidiem like this.
  10. antidiem

I agree this is very possible.

Bronwen likes this.
  11. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I think @antidiem nailed it at Scully & Scully!! For the tidy sum of $2,250.!!

red+++black+shell+studs+with+grey+pearls,+set+of+4.jpg

Bronwen, reader, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  12. antidiem

Thanks, but I'm truly NOT CONVINCED they are Scully, above, Hollyblue was much better able to articulate what I wanted to express about the "marriage" of the gold and the shells...

13. MaJa

MaJa Active Member

Maybe; that's what I want to find out. Is it from a known brand or is it an inspired copy?
    As this type of cufflinks is usually quite expensive, I guess that the brand jeweler/jewelery company selling them would put his/its own hallmark or logo on them and not the findings company's hallmark.

Bronwen, antidiem and Aquitaine like this.
  14. MaJa

MaJa Active Member

15. MaJa

MaJa Active Member

I had a further look at the Scully & Scully shell cufflinks, they all have different toggles, either a ball made of a (semi-)precious stone/material or a bar linked to a chain...

Bronwen, antidiem and Aquitaine like this.
  16. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@MaJa, you can always email them and ASK!!!

17. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

From experience I would say you are wrong. We bought 18K Omega clips from France with French marks since it was the only maker of the clips at the time. There were no suppliers in the U.S at that time.

18. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Those have pearls mounted in gold on the tips. MaJa's don't, so it could be a different brand.

Btw, MaJa, it is a manufacturer's mark, a hallmark can only be punched by an assay office.:)

Bronwen, antidiem and reader like this.
  19. antidiem

Thank you for clarifying this, AJ.

Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted