Featured Identifying Material - Locket & Ring

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by BMRT, Apr 15, 2020.

1. BMRT

BMRT Jewelry cherry-picker, lover of silver

Greetings,

I have a ring and locket which I’ve purchased and would like an opinion on what they are made of.

Locket I believe to either be Whitby Jet or perhaps vulcanite? 7404E795-2FC0-442F-939C-CE478875CEF1.jpeg 9D2C9370-2F6C-4D77-89A5-4A26586FE504.jpeg 91884E70-96DD-447E-8561-39BA8FED6901.jpeg C105C447-AF04-43DB-AD33-B1B412DF3BC1.jpeg 12103A06-F4EF-4BBF-8E4F-EB14D6502EDC.jpeg E30F2747-B7BA-47EF-A8F5-7B7C723166DA.jpeg The inside looks carved and I have a feeling the little brass ring once had a bit of glass in it.

The ring: 3A9E6F8C-AF5E-4286-844E-070686919B2C.jpeg 72119B7C-3D60-444E-98E8-61B849DBE5C7.jpeg BCB4012B-D698-4268-991A-90B606A28939.jpeg 70B092E4-AC61-4F36-97B8-9DC558D6493F.jpeg With the ring I’m guessing it’s celluloid or bakelite.

Any guesses appreciated.

cxgirl, stracci, kingcake and 11 others like this.
  2. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

you do pick up interesting items BMRT.....!!!!

i'll sit this one out............. but watch intently !! ;):happy::happy:

BMRT, ulilwitch, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

BMRT, ulilwitch, Figtree3 and 3 others like this.
  5. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

It seems unlikely that the locket is vulcanite. It would be difficult to mold the form with the deep undercuts under the lady's hair. More likely to be carved.

BMRT, ulilwitch, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  6. Bronwen

I have seen pieces that combined jet with a man made material & this photo, if it is the cameo lady that is on the other side, makes me think she is a separate piece:

[​IMG]

But overall I think it is too black, too shiny & too crisp to be antique Vulcanite, which tends to go brown with time, particularly at edges such as where the lady's profile meets the background. Guessing any brownishness here is grunge.

7. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I'm assuming you don't think the ring is stone?
    Not cold when you touch it to your face?

ulilwitch, Bronwen and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. komokwa

the ring looks like a natural material to me....like an amber.....

oooops...sorry...:oops:

9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Jet test: get yourself a bit of unglazed porcelain, like the inside of a loo lid, and very very gently smear the item on it. A sttreak means jet and that looks spot on to me.

10. Peasnquiet

Peasnquiet Well-Known Member

11. Peasnquiet

Could the ring be yellow jade?

12. Peasnquiet

BMRT, ulilwitch and Bronwen like this.
  13. Bronwen

14. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The inside reminds me of bog oak, but I can't see anything bog oak-like on the outside. Bog oak jewellery was made in southern Germany, of a nicer quality than in Ireland (apologies to the Irish :sorry:).

This listing is for a cameo locket described as bog oak, it looks very much like BMRT's, but it shows bog oak striations:

[​IMG]
    https://www.rubylane.com/item/815517-632/Antique-Victorian-Bog-Oak-Lady-Cameo

15. Bronwen

For what?

16. Bronwen

I have never noticed another of these that looked like or was described as bog oak, & I do run across them in my hunt for cameos. If I had only the RL seller's photos to go by, with no description & out of the context of this discussion, my best assessment would be Vulcanite or similar, all parts, with the lady being a separate piece. Could be the seller's slightly out of focus pix that give me the impression that the lines are less sharp, more rounded than OP's. The lady is definitely molded. All that brown on the outside, which has been exposed to air & sun, & the much blacker interior, which has been more protected, are another indicator.

This is OP's. Not sure either Vulcanite or bog oak would chip in this way:

upload_2020-4-16_9-59-55.png

BMRT, ulilwitch and 2manybooks like this.
  17. komokwa

for weighing in when i said i wouldn't...:sorry::(

Bronwen likes this.
  18. Bronwen

When did we ever make that a rule that couldn't be broken? Weigh away!

BMRT and komokwa like this.
  19. komokwa

Well, I was trying.......
    but no one suggested amber, and a close look at the blowups of the ring ...& I could see creamy...then translucent ....& some shading.....so that's my call.
    I also...without it in hand.....like the black for vulcanite ! but WDIK ??

20. Bronwen

Actually, I thought that might be what you were apologizing for, although still no need, that you popped in with something that had already been said. :D

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted