Identifying tintype age?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Jerry Coker, Jun 15, 2021.

1. Jerry Coker

Jerry Coker Active Member

I'm still pretty new to 19th century photography, but I find tintypes the hardest to identify of all antique photographs, because they were made for quite a few years. Hence, identifying a photo by a subjects clothes, hair styles, etc. seems most important. And unfortunately, I'm not very good at that yet :yawn: Is there a good website that covers both 19th century clothes & hair styles? I'll add a couple tintypes below from a family album I purchased a few months ago. The album did have some names in it, so that has been helpful. But the tintype subjects don't always match the cdv & cabinet subjects. I was originally thinking the 2 tintypes below were from the 1870's to early 1880's, but now I think maybe later? Sorry for my less than stellar photography of these examples. Also, one tintype is not in great shape.

tt01.jpg tt02.jpg

Houseful likes this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

1890s for both.

4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The second one is from the 1880s, imo. The first one probably is, too, unless it is very early 1890s. Women wore voluminous sleeves for most of the 1890s, not narrow, except at the beginning of the decade. The peaked shoulders on the coats in the first picture do replicate what happened with dress sleeves about 1890 or 1891.

Just my opinion. But I am almost 100% certain about the second one being from the 1880s.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  5. Jerry Coker

Thank you for the replies, I found some good info. about clothes by looking at all the phototree case studies, for any type of photo (not just tintypes). I agree now that these are probably not from the 1870's, as I originally thought. I'm still trying to find a good website for id'ing 19th century clothes. The ones I've found so far are OK, but don't cover both women AND men's clothes very well. Thanks again for your replies!

Figtree3 likes this.
  6. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Figtree3 likes this.
  7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Yes! That is an excellent book, and one of the ones I use.

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

In the second, they're wearing walking suits. Heading into modern women's sportswear. On the cusp of the new century. And look at their liberated attitudes! They could bike, hike, swim. Must have been exhilarating. (Looks like mother + daughters, by way.)

Debora

Figtree3 likes this.
  9. Jerry Coker

Thank you, thank you, that link is exactly what I was looking for. Not sure why I couldn't find something like that earlier. I will also check out that book. Thank you for the resources!

Figtree3 and 2manybooks like this.
  10. Jerry Coker

Yes, indeed! I believe the family that made this album were wealthy and maybe lived near New York City, perhaps near the Hudson River. I'm still researching all the photos...

Draft saved Draft deleted