Featured If it’s real it’s the most interesting thing I’ve ever found at a thrift store

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by J Dagger, Jan 5, 2020.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

967DEDC9-C3F7-4DD6-8580-E5913920019A.jpeg 540967EA-3999-4831-9CC4-99393A4F8890.jpeg 34A8267E-7319-4694-9A1E-B6A2BBCD05BE.jpeg DB6C8BFB-01E0-47CA-B024-1CCE44BB9158.jpeg 7B5A1758-4568-4E26-945B-07A87009BF99.jpeg DDEDC167-C235-4874-9292-C0327EEC2DBA.jpeg A few weeks ago I stopped into a thrift store real quick. There was nothing good at all but I checked the random bags on the way out. This jumped out at me right away. It was in a bag with a couple pieces of painted wood trinkets from Haiti and something else I don’t recall. I immediately recognized what it was and was shocked that the processing employees didn’t throw it away. Broken old dirty stuff doesn’t usually make it to the floor at thrift stores, especially something most people wouldn’t recognize.

I assume that it’s an ancient oil lamp. It could very possibly be a modern reproduction. I’m kind of split on wether it’s real or repro. Leaning towards real though. The odd part is that there is no hole on the top. The only guess I had is that maybe it’s unfinished??? Can’t imagine why else? If it was a repro wouldn’t they put the hole there to make it look real? As a metal detectorist I’ve seen lots of stuff come out of the ground and this looks like it came out of the ground to me but that could faked too. It’s pretty ornate and the bottom has some good color. Those could be bad signs I guess but not definitive. I know these are reproduced for tourists and probably made to look old. I’ve also heard real deal artifacts were pretty readily available to tourists for a long time from the grand tour eras to early 20th century. Would love to hear some opinions on this sucker. It’s not all that valuable even if real probably but it’s super cool IMO. I love very old stuff and it would definitely stay in my collection. It will go down as the most interesting thrift store find for me so far if it’s real.

judy, Any Jewelry, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  2. necollectors

necollectors Well-Known Member

What are the measurements....I think it may be an incense burner...

Bronwen, Christmasjoy and J Dagger like this.
  3. J Dagger

Ah that could be. Maybe 2.5”-3.5” or so. I’m out of town for a bit so it’s not handy.

judy, Bronwen and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's an old lamp...likely filled with dirt from being dug up..
    we've had threads about these here before..

judy, Bronwen, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  5. necollectors

It is only 2.5"or 3"...very tiny lamp???

Bronwen, Christmasjoy and aaroncab like this.
  6. komokwa

they weren't big to begin with..

upload_2020-1-5_23-31-18.jpeg upload_2020-1-5_23-32-19.jpeg upload_2020-1-5_23-34-30.jpeg

7. J Dagger

It could be as much as 5” I suppose. I’ll measure when I get a chance. My initial estimate might be a little short. Maybe more likely 3.5”-4.5”.

judy and Bronwen like this.
  8. komokwa

terra-cotta oil lamp.

Nick72, Bronwen and Christmasjoy like this.
  9. J Dagger

Well it’s definitely supposed to be an old oil lamp. Just wondering if it’s actually old or not. Also with the lack of a second hole it wouldn’t function as an oil lamp. So something else is going on here unless it’s not a completed one. They were definitely small to being with. Many somewhere in that range I mentioned.

Bronwen and Fid like this.
  10. necollectors

Interesting...where are they from Komo?

Bronwen and Christmasjoy like this.
  11. komokwa

all over the middle east.....greece...rome....these puppys came and went everywhere...

Bronwen likes this.
  12. J Dagger

Yup! Someone told me that he thought it was probably late Byzantine or Herodean in style. He wasn’t sure it wasn’t a replica though.

Bronwen likes this.
  13. komokwa

lack of a second hole
    huh.... i see a big hole in the center....just filled with dirt...

Bronwen likes this.
  14. komokwa

hell it even has a rim!!!!!!

Bronwen likes this.
  15. komokwa

r u saying that center circle is pottery too...??????
    u sure???

Bronwen likes this.
  16. J Dagger

Ohhh I see what you’re saying. Well I definitely thought that it was pottery but I suppose you may be right. I honestly didn’t even consider that it was filled in dirt. I have to inspect it a lot closer obviously!!! Life was crazy the week I found it and I didn’t get much time with it. I just took pictures and stashed it. Thanks for the suggesting that lol.

Bronwen and komokwa like this.
  17. komokwa

you are most welcome...................:)

Bronwen and J Dagger like this.
  18. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

not worth any trouble. millions available in better state.

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  19. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Definitely an oil lamp. They were small because they sat in niches in the wall or on small ledges along the wall.
    Most of the rest of Europe too. They are often found by people digging in their gardens here in the Netherlands. My parents had a couple as well.
    Most are prettier than this one though.:sorry:

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  20. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Speaking for the horses instead of the zebras, while I agree with everything that has been said, what it looks like to me is a clay repro made using a mold that was made from an impression of a genuine lamp that was filled up with soil. Perhaps it is filled with impacted earth, but it all looks the same material to me.

Does it sound/feel hollow at all? And why is the spout clear but not the main opening? What does the side where there would have been a handle look like?

There are antiquities & there are antiquities. If real, this is definitely one to enjoy for the cool factor because monetary value is about what you paid for it.

all_fakes, komokwa, Bakersgma and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted