Featured If this doesn't have at least 100 years of patina I'll eat my socks!

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Miscstuff, May 16, 2021.

1. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

My gravestone may read "died eating sock sushi".

1s.jpg 2s.jpg 3s.jpg 4s.jpg 5s.jpg 6s.jpg 7s.jpg 8s.jpg 9s.jpg

Curious little nut crusher. Seems to be mostly pinned together with pins that look hand made and possibly repaired with pitch in places. The hinge is a primitive double pinned dowel arrangement so the doweling must have grooves in it to keep it in place. Almost looks like a sphinx caricature of somebody important who was regarded as a bit of a nut crusher. The head has pins around it so probably missing a hat / crown / religious headdress etc. I'll go out on a limb here and say 1750-1850 European origin.
    Thoughts?
    Data
    12.5cm Long, 12cm High, 6.2cm Wide, 0.175Kg
    Bowl OD 8.1cm, ID 4.4cm

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

what little i know about wood...and nails.....
    these don't look that old..
    i can't even guess at the ethnicity..

James Conrad, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

face reminds me a bit of Moai on Easter Island.

judy likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Anyone have any good sock recipes?:)

I have never seen one like this before, and have no idea where it could have been made.:sorry:
    The face is indeed somewhat reminiscent of Moai Kavakava, but I think that is all. The wood and the purpose are not like anything from Rapa Nui.

Last edited: May 16, 2021
  5. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yeah, I am goin with Komo on this one.
    Wood being an organic substance, it will age in a hurry if you put it outside in the rain. Matter of fact disappears altogether in a year or 2.:oops:
    Hand-made pins/dowels are never perfectly round as they are usually whittled with a knife.

komokwa likes this.
  6. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 16, 2021
  7. Any Jewelry

Looks like the nutcracker figure had 'hair' too, I can see a few tufts sticking out here and there.

Since no one has come up with sock recipes yet, I'll see if I can find some.:playful:

kyratango likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

kyratango, DizzyDaff, bluumz and 6 others like this.
  9. Doot Boi

Doot Boi Well-Known Member

Nail appears to be recently manufactured, as it has those rings you see in modern nails. I think it cant be any older that the 50s, sorry.

KSW likes this.
  10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The patina is funny too - the same everywhere. If this was legitimately ancient it would have more color/wear on the spots where it was handled and came into contact with whatever it mashed up. If I had a new one I'd use it as a garlic clove peeler.

KSW likes this.
  11. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

Here's a guess... a betel nut crusher .... that being it looks native made to me ...and that is just an answer being pulled out of my sock drawer....lol

12. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Now where did I put my spicy sauce?
    Think @Firemandk may have nailed it. Speaking of nails, the "rings" under a microscope are seen as grooves on one side and it looks like it's breaking apart from the bending. As for patina I guess I'll have to settle for 60-70 years.

Any Jewelry and KSW like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

I have never seen a betel nut crusher that was made in faux native style before. I have also never seen a flat betel nut crusher before.
    Imo this is an export piece, made to cater for Western ideas of 'tribal' artifacts.

A betel nut crusher looks like a chisel with a nicely carved handle. Betel cutters look like cutters.

A few betel nut crushers from different regions.

Java:
    [​IMG]

Lombok:
    [​IMG]

Timor:
    [​IMG]

Sumatra:
    [​IMG]

Laos:
    [​IMG]

14. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I was also wondering how it could crush much of anything. On a nut cracker, doesn't the top/pestle fit down into the mortar? On this object, it just sits on top, like a lid.

KSW, Potteryplease and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Yes, either that, or it works as a vise, or even a pair of pliers.

KSW likes this.
  16. evelyb30

That's why I was thinking garlic.(LOL) A masher would be a good way to get the peel off of the clove.

KSW likes this.
  17. Any Jewelry

The flat side of a butcher's knife is perfect for crushing garlic cloves, and the peel almost drops off. Much more sanitary too.

[​IMG]

kyratango and KSW like this.
  18. evelyb30

That's my usual MO, only I'm more of a cleaver gal. My Chinese cleaver is great for that. Also whacking open squash, when combined with a hammer.(LOL)

KSW likes this.
  19. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

1990s Bombay Company…just kidding! It looks cool.

KSW likes this.
  20. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Draft saved Draft deleted