Featured If this is an ashtray, it's the coolest one I'll ever find..

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Jeff Drum, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

I can't figure out what else this could be, though I hope you will know. The tongue is hinged (see the metal pivot pin) and lifts up when pressed on the back, leaving a small opening in the "throat" that ashes could fall through, then gravity mostly closes the opening back up (to cut down on smoke?) I don't think it would work with cigarettes, but with a cigar. Or maybe I'm completely barking up the wrong tree and this is for something else??

The base is threaded and unscrews (I showed the front and back of the base). It is missing a chunk on the base but that doesn't bother me. Besides its purpose, where does everyone think it would have been made and when? No marks besides the underglaze "74" written on both pieces and the ceramic wear on the base. I'm thinking europe instead of japan, but maybe not?
    P9051571.JPG P9051573.JPG P9051572.JPG P9051574.JPG P9051575.JPG P9051576.JPG

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Would a double edge razor blade slide through the opening?

judy, Jeff Drum, pearlsnblume and 2 others like this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Maybe not meant for razor blades. Most used blade holders seem to be more like banks.

Agree it doesn't look like Japanese pottery. German?

judy, Jeff Drum, pearlsnblume and 2 others like this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Fid, judy, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  5. Jeff Drum

Don't think razor blades (wouldn't be comfortable getting them safely into the throat without cutting yourself), though not sure about ashtray. Do we have any tobacciana or pipe collectors? Looked it over again closely, and noticed another mark, an impressed number 5 on the inner rim. Makes me thing more likely to be English or European. Calling @Ownedbybear for advice on the pottery?
    P9071623.JPG P9071618.JPG

Christmasjoy, Bronwen and judy like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that;s a fun piece....:happy::happy:

7. Jeff Drum

Wonder if this would get any more views if moved to Pottery Glass section; @daveydempsey could you please do that? And putting out a last call for ideas; @Ownedbybear @blooey or anyone else that putters around with old pottery?

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Sorry mate, got me. No idea, sorry!

judy, Christmasjoy and Jeff Drum like this.
  9. komokwa

could it serve as a bank...dropping a coin in the mouth moves the tongue...like it's swallowing the coin...?

DizzyDaff, kyratango, judy and 2 others like this.
  10. Jeff Drum

Neat idea! I just tried it, but the coins don't weigh enough to move the tongue, so they just bunch up and sit on the tongue in the back of the throat. If I lift the tip of the tongue up then the coins fall through and can't be reached anymore. They can of course be retrieved by unscrewing the base.

So I guess it is possible, though not as automatic or well planned as the old cast iron banks I own, so I'm not sure??

komokwa, kyratango and judy like this.
  11. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

I thought bank too ... Joy. :)

komokwa, kyratango and judy like this.
  12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'm dredging something from the back of my head. I think it IS smoking related, but the cigar or whatever sort of sat behind the tongue, so it looked as though the beast was smoking.

13. komokwa

I'm just not seeing an ashtray design here,,,,,,,,,

Christmasjoy likes this.
  14. komokwa

ok...u place the coin...then flip the tongue......?? could be ??

Christmasjoy and blooey like this.
  15. DizzyDaff

DizzyDaff Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.

@Jeff Drum Really neat item!! When you figure it out, hope you'll post your findings!

16. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
    Firemandk and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted