If This Is Not A Real Turner, Who Signed This?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Anthony Mobley, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Anthony Mobley

Anthony Mobley New Member

Hello Everyone,

I know fake drawings and paintings by "JMW Turner" turn up everyday and this is probably another one. On the back of the framing for this artwork is information about an Artist by the name of "George Chambers Jr. (1829 - ?)". The writing indicates that the Turner signature is fake and that Chambers Jr. is actually responsible for the work. My question is... did Turner ever sign his name JM Turner? Does anyone know of works by JMW Turner similar to this? I've done searches on his signatures but nothing I've found matches this.

Maybe I'm RICH! LOL

Attached Files:

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Turner is not an uncommon name.

3. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

It's absolutely real and your are rich beyond your wildest dreams not

Spritsail Thames barge BTW

antidiem and Anthony Mobley like this.
  4. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum Anthony and the fact that ::somebody:: has already identified this (watercolor?) painting to be a faked signature, tells me it's definitely not by a famous artist. Sorry about that, happens more often than I could have ever imagined!

Anthony Mobley likes this.
  5. Anthony Mobley

Hay Barges On The Medway?

Not beyond my wildest dreams but rich enough to purchase some more Turners until I find a real one..
    I’d like to be Oprah Winfrey Rich! LOL

Fid and johnnycb09 like this.
  6. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Ah yes, a real one ...an old client of mine has a large oil that was used for the frontispiece on a 1905 book on Turner - and even with that provenance and a list of prior ownership he can't get it authenticated.
    Once the catalogue raisonee has been published it is almost impossible to get a painting authenticated if it wasn't included. I've handled two watercolours that were possibly/probably Turners but .....

(and don't forget all the "Anderson" Turner watercolours flying about out there)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  7. Anthony Mobley

I agree with everything you wrote!

Have you seen this?

Fake Or Fortune Season 2 Episode 2 - JMW Turner

8. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Oh yes and I know more than I need to about Mr. Butlin -gatekeeper personified.

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

As a courtesy, would you post a photograph of the information on the painting's back that you're citing?

Debora

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

aaroncab likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted