Featured If you love Tiffany...

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Bronwen, May 22, 2019.

1. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

2. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

3. Bronwen

DragonflyWink and Ghopper1924 like this.
  4. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Don't miss the NY Historical Society even if you have zero interest in lamps at all. It is fascinating! Years ago, i visited there with a friend. Just before we got there, it occurred to me that in case we got separated, we should meet at the door in two hours. Good thing I did!

He went his way, and I went mine, and we could have been in two different museums!

5. Dave47

Dave47 Active Member

The Tiffany Chapel is neat -- and (for Harry Potter fans) it has a "memorial" for "Harold Potter" in it!

6. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

I remember visiting the NY Historical Society and wandering by myself through a huge room full of Tiffany lamps, no guard, no docent, just me. Oh what a feeling!, too be on that beautiful island of serenity, surrounded by 20-some million people in the NY metro. Unforgettable!

7. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for this. I downloaded it immediately!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Last year, when going to the Harry Potter play in New York they had an Harry Potter exhibit at the NY Historical Society and we happened upon the Tiffany Studios exhibit. Pure Joy!

Bronwen likes this.
  8. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I visited the Morse when I used to live in Orlando,it was amazing.

DragonflyWink and Bronwen like this.
  9. Bronwen

After the first time I went & had that same experience, I often wanted to go back, managed it a few times, & was the only or one of just a few visitors. I only wished they had somewhere to sit, so you could rest & bliss out.

For the rest of you - a long dim room lit with little or no other light than that coming from the low wattage bulbs in the lamps, like entering a cave with huge, luminous jewels. Think it takes up the whole of the floor.

It was closed for a number of years to turn it into the exhibit shown in the video at the link I posted. They get overshadowed by their neighbor, the American Museum of Natural History.

I know, me too. Probably the best color illustrated book on Tiffany you're ever going to get for free.

DragonflyWink and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  10. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

The Chapel, which hadn't been displayed for the general public since the Columbian Exposition, is probably my favorite part - it always gives me a feeling of peace as I sit there...

Johnny, when was the last time you were there? They opened a large addition in 2011 and it is truly lovely, with architectural elements from LCT's Laurelton Hall, salvaged by the McKeans after a disastrous fire, as were the remains of the Chapel (I remember when the museum was in a small storefront on a street off Park Ave.)

~Cheryl

Bronwen likes this.
  11. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Goodness,probably 1998 or so !

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted