I'm addicted to thrift store art! Help w/Gypsy Playing Violin + 2nd Painting and Big Painted Peacock

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Jun 11, 2020.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found these going through my local thrift store this morning. I like the gypsy playing a violin with a big smile on his face! Can anyone make out the artist's name? (Hussein?) Also what is the logo/stamp on the back of the canvas?

2nd painting is bright, colorful & in a palette style (thick gobs of paint), but I can't find a S. Peerson artist - lots of S. Pearson but no Peerson. Is it Pearson? Is so which artist?

Finally! I found this big painted peacock - I think it's made of chalkware because the sound when you tap on it, but the creases (look at neck in 2nd pic) makes me think some kind of wood?
    PS - It measures 31" long x 23" tall, and when you look at it sitting in the grass it looks like a peacock looking back at whose behind him!
    I looked for another with no result - could it be handmade? Any thoughts on it?
    Thanks all!

ART PAINTING GYPSY PLAYING VIOLIN 1AA.JPG ART PAINTING GYPSY PLAYING VIOLIN 2AA.JPG ART PAINTING GYPSY PLAYING VIOLIN 3AA.JPG ART PAINTING GYPSY PLAYING VIOLIN 4AA.JPG
    ART PAINTING S PEERSON 1AA.JPG ART PAINTING S PEERSON 1AAA.JPG ART PAINTING S PEERSON 2AA.JPG ART STATUE PEACOCK 1AA.JPG ART STATUE PEACOCK 2AA.JPG ART STATUE PEACOCK 3AA.JPG

2. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

All three decorative. Peacock looks like ceramic.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. journeymagazine

Here's another view of gypsy painting signature; maybe a little easier to read?

ART PAINTING GYPSY PLAYING VIOLIN 2AAA.JPG

4. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

the beach scene the sea is poorly done. It was by an amateur artist. The violin one is done by someone with a little more skill but still someone who probably painted in their free time. Peacock yard decor.

komokwa likes this.
  5. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

Maybe a couple of museum visits are in order.

reader and anundverkaufen like this.
  6. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

Yes pursue another addiction.

reader likes this.
  7. journeymagazine

8. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

According to the internet, A. Schutzmann is a framer in Herrsching, Germany which is near Munich, and Viktoria Maltuch is the canvas maker. I have no idea if that is true but your violin-playing gyspy appears to be a decorative painting as do these from the same "framer" listed on eBay Germany.

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-kunst/viktoria-maltuch/k0c240

Debora

10. journeymagazine

Thank you Debora!!

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Honing? Haring? (Not Keith :hilarious:)
    These Gypsy paintings are Continental European kitsch of the 1950s-60s. People who bought these, also bought the crying children paintings.
    I read S. Parson, and it is not by an artist, but by a sunday painter.;)
    That's what it looks like to me.

reader likes this.
  12. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I’m kinda floored that I like the peacock but I’ve got bad yard art.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted