Featured I'M in love with a carved Hutch and I don't care who knows it!

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Rodney and Melanie Coe, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Rodney and Melanie Coe

Rodney and Melanie Coe " I’m the dude playin’ the dude...”

OK friends. I'M new here and need some help. Wanna buy this Bad boy but want info on it first. Is this still considered a Victorian Carved hutch? Feels dutch/ german to me but not sure what to make of it. Thoughts? Value? thumbnail.jpg thumbnail (1).jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Golly Gee...but yer up late !!! :playful::playful::playful::playful::playful::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed:

Ghopper1924, Aquitaine, judy and 2 others like this.
  3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Gothic Revival, late 19th, might even be British. Not much value over here, but YMMV. Oak.

5. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Agrees, gothic revival, not period, oak. No clue where it was built but i don't think american. The arched pediment does have a dutch "look" to it but that is just a guess.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  6. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Welcome to Antiquers Rodney & Melanie!

7. Rodney and Melanie Coe

Rodney and Melanie Coe " I’m the dude playin’ the dude...”

any idea of its value?

Ghopper1924, i need help and judy like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I'm with James again, Gothic Revival style, but not of the period it is normally associated with. Looks mid 20th century to me.

Dutch could be right, we saw a lot of that Gothic Revival furniture here in the province of Brabant in the south of the Netherlands in the 1950s-60s. It had to do with a revival of Brabant culture, which had its heyday in the Middle Ages.
    It could have been made near me, I live near two of the main furniture villages of Oirschot and Oisterwijk.

9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Would never guess this to be mid 20th century. Even with that hardware? Nothing even remotely similar made here in that time period.

Drew, i need help and judy like this.
  10. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

It all depends where you are on value. Couple of hundred in Nowhere Iowa,maybe a $1000 in LA. Does anyone else think it might have been a pannier ?

11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I agree with brad. Yes, we did repros of Victorian Gothic here in the 50s, but this has finer carving, and better hinges - not as clunky. The oak is decent, too - the repros are usually dark stained, and it has some patina to it. Not heavy or dark enough for German/Dutch, imo.

Having said all that, it's £100 to at most £200 here, and that latter is if you're really lucky.

12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Hello Mr. Coe........ How's it go ? :)
    A nice piece of furniture , guaranteed to give you decades of use and joy.
    Although we here at Antiquers are not a site for finding out current market values, members will from time to time offer up their opinions on what an item may be worth.

"it's £100 to at most £200 here,"
    &
    "Couple of hundred in Nowhere Iowa,maybe a $1000 in LA"

And above is a prime example of why placing values on an item is fraught with complexities to numerous and odious to entertain here.

That said......if'n ya like it...buy it...and spend what you feel is reasonable , using the info garnered here ....& your pocket book !

You then could change the title of this thread to......

"
    I'M in love with a carved Hutch and I paid $ XXX , I don't care who knows it!

:playful::playful::playful::woot::woot::woot::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::joyful::joyful::joyful:

13. James Conrad

The better question is, what are they asking for it?

judy and i need help like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Yes, even with that hardware.:)
    My mother had a Gothic Revival bookcase made for her in the 50s. Neo-Gothic as we call it. It had those Gothic book-like designs on the doors at the bottom, I don't know what those are called, and the top part was adjustable bookshelves. The hardware on the doors was beautiful, all handmade, and much like on the photos Rodney posted. I was supposed to get it after she passed, but by that time I had no room for it.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  15. James Conrad

Oh dear, hoarding!

A quick google came up with this Gothic cab, French, 1930

Apparently Gothic is or was BIG over there

french 1930.jpg

16. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

James, you have your game on! :)

17. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

Nice work James.

18. Piece Dove

Piece Dove Active Member

19. James Conrad

Yep, I am goin with AJ on this one, probably 20th century on OP cabinet.

20. Any Jewelry

Great job, James.
    Yes, it was big here. Apparently in France, Belgium, as well as the southern Netherlands.

Where I am, in the south of the Netherlands, the culture is geared more towards the south, Belgium and France, than to the north, Holland, etc. So our art and crafts look more Belgian and French.
    It has to do with our long history, and bad experiences with usurping Hollanders. For a long time our province was a 'wingewest', a typically Dutch term for a colony within the borders of the colonizing country. Wingewest literally means a region that one can win (income) from. (I know, only the Dutch, or should I say Hollanders, can come up with a strange construction like that.)

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted