Featured Imari Charger

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by stracci, Dec 23, 2020.

1. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

I picked up this Imari charger at my thrift store for $6.00.
    It is hand painted and 18" across.
    It was chipped and repaired on one edge. I do love it, regardless.
    Can anyone give an idea about age?
    Some similar pieces on eBay are claiming to be 19th century.
    @blooey , @Rec @John Brassey any ideas?
    IMG_20201223_161006134.jpg
    IMG_20201223_183250.jpg
    IMG_20201223_180647.jpg IMG_20201223_180844.jpg IMG_20201223_180701.jpg IMG_20201223_180732.jpg

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
    Any Jewelry, judy, Ally330 and 6 others like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i can't help.....but it is pretty !!

judy and stracci like this.
  3. stracci

But Komo! I thought you knew everything about everything!:p:p:wacky:;)

judy likes this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Do the others you've seen with early dating have the shiny gold embellishments? I would think that is a sign of a 20th century item. (Obviously I might be wrong.)

judy, blooey and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  5. stracci

Yes, they have the gold. But I have some older Nippon pieces with gold, too.
    These two are almost the same, except mine is larger at 18" and the landscapes are slightly different.
    Both of these items are claiming 19th century, but we all know that Ebay is not really a good source of information:wacky:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Ja...111256?hash=item287d7e2698:g:t10AAOSwww5c3Gwp

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Ja...942385?hash=item1aae17c271:g:BgMAAOSwHBhf4ozf

6. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

A very nice one. I'm definitely not sure of exact age, but I'd GUESS Meiji period.

7. stracci

That's what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure at all! I appreciate your input!

judy likes this.
  8. komokwa

Then why didn't you tag me , first ...........or at all ??? :rolleyes::rolleyes:..:p:p..:playful::playful::playful::playful:

judy likes this.
  9. stracci

I was going to tag you, but I didn't want to bother you with my trivial question....:kiss::p:joyful::cyclops: I know your expertise is in NA.....
    So do you think this is Meiji period?
    I didn't think it was that old, but now I'm hopeful!
    I guess I need really big plate stand to display it!
    PS..I'm gonna tag you every time from now on, you'll be sick of me in no time:p

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
    judy and komokwa like this.
  10. komokwa

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

I could never be sick of you !!!! :kiss::kiss::kiss:

Up close...the paint is sloppy....I would think Meiji work would be more precise...

11. stracci

judy likes this.
  12. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Well when I first saw this I must say I thought it was nicely done but not what I would necessarily place in the 19thc. It seems a bit more 'dressy' than the usual pieces we see -plus the fact that there are others that bear a very close resemblance and are similarly signed suggests that we are looking at the production of a particular Japanese maker, or workshop - no doubt a translation of the mark would tell us more.
    Even though this is "Imari", the design elements of the reserves featuring Kutani-like landscapes etc and the rather non-typical elements and coloration of the reverse decor put it outside of what I would describe as a typical Meiji Imari charger.
    I think this is more likely a bit later, maybe Taisho period, but again, a reading of the maker's mark would probably tell us the whole story.

Any Jewelry, stracci, judy and 2 others like this.
  13. stracci

Thank you so much for your detailed reply.
    I didn't think the ebay time frames descriptions were correct, but I wasn't sure. The detailed front designs and the loose designs on the back seemed strange to me.
    However, assuming it is Taisho, like you say, it is still older than I figured. I thought it was rather modern at first, because the back shows little wear. Thanks, @blooey!

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I do associate that amount of gilding with lesser age. It's very nicely done. 20s would make sense.

Draft saved Draft deleted