Imari covered dish. is this modern? I dont recognize this mark does anyone?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by sunday silence, Oct 17, 2022.

1. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Mid to late 19th Staffordshire, it's a deorator's mark.

3. sunday silence

Hi Owned what do you look for to indicate date? The style, the colors etc? What do you think of those finials? I have not seen any like that

bercrystal likes this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Style and colours and seeing lots of them, which isn't much help! And also the look of the base. I've not seen a knop or handles like that, they're a bit unusual.

sunday silence and kentworld like this.
  5. sunday silence

Thanks for all your help Owned. I really like it.

Born2it and Ownedbybear like this.
  6. sunday silence

Back to this: is it fair to describe this one as "gaudy imari?"

7. Ownedbybear

I'd call it simply Imari palette.

8. sunday silence

I now have it in my hands. It's a sugar bowl, yes? It lacks a cut out section of the lid for a spoon but I think its a sugar.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2022
  9. Ownedbybear

How big is it? Sugar, when this was made, wasn't granulated but came in blocks. So a sugar bowl held lumps with tongs used to serve.

10. guy roberge

guy roberge Member

I have a hunch this may be Amsterdam Bont porcelain. The operative word is "may". Look up their history and pictures.

11. sunday silence

Hello Owned: its 6" tall and 6.5" wide, going from memory a couple days ago. Thanks alot.

12. sunday silence

yeah the color scheme is real interesting. The peach or orange color seems to be typical of many of the Amerstdams bont wares. but what about the finials or handles? Are those likely to come from China or Japan?

also compare the color scheme to this one said to be clobbered, the blues overlap the reds and the peach probably overlaps the blue:

1-42296.jpg 1-42296.jpg

13. guy roberge

guy roberge Member

Amsterdam Bont is a Dutch product and the blues do tend to overlap other colors. As far as the painting scheme, there are other examples to be found that more closely match yours. Although, I haven't come across tureens.

14. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

All three pictured below were listed as Coalport, circa 1805, rarely seen shape/form with "coin shape" finial and handles as per Geoffrey Godden. (As usual, I can't vouch for it, all info found on internet search and I don't have the Geoffrey Godden book.):bookworm:

2_cc91f69d88f0f547a4709cd4d11ecc85.jpg
    img_1882.jpg
    6f1fef5abcb17a5fb39ce315818f42da.jpg
    EDIT: here is another one I found while having my coffee this morning. Everyone is calling them a sauce tureen, by the way. I hope someone has the Geoffrey Godden Coalport book.
    H1031-L13706843.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-11-07-09-15-30.png

Last edited: Nov 7, 2022
    kentworld and sunday silence like this.
  15. Ownedbybear

Sugar bowl then.

Bont is quite different in style, and that's a bluish glaze on the piece in the image. It's based on Chinese, whilst Imari palette is based on Japanese.

Yours also looks bone china.

16. guy roberge

guy roberge Member

Great examples. I'm a new member and learning quite a bit already from everyone. I have been buying and selling antiques and vintage items for many years, but still learning. :bookworm:

Draft saved Draft deleted