Imari Help

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by necollectors, Jan 29, 2020.

1. necollectors

necollectors Well-Known Member

Hi Guys...Can you tell if this is Japanese or Chinese? My guess...Japanese...can you date it? and there is no mark on back except what looks like a mountain range on the edge of th Imari 1 front.jpg imari hallmark.jpg imari closeup2.jpg imari closeup.jpg imari back.jpg e foot rim...I need some experts! TYIA

2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Japanese, transfer printed, relatively new.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  3. necollectors

necollectors Well-Known Member

Blooey..Thank you...Can you tell me how you know or what to look for when it comes to transfer printed...See...to me(not an expert) the inks look 20th century, but I did think it was hand painted. Odd no mark? Do you think that is just a glaze SNAFU or a possible makers mark?

4. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Hand decorated things tend to be less "perfect" - not in a quality sense, but maybe less "regular" in design - this piece has the look of a "multiple", or factory made piece - again, that isn't necessarily a bad thing, just a sign of more modern productions. The fact that there is no mark is probably because it had a label that got washed off.
    I can't really make out the mark and the rim would be a rather odd place to find any mark IMO. Probably not a maker's mark.

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Take a magnifying glass and notice how one color sits on top of another color.
    The transfers are placed one color at a time , and if rushed one side does not line up well with what's already on the dish..

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted