imari? Japanese plate

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by rink28, Jul 31, 2019.

1. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Hi, i was wondering if someone could help me with this mark? It is clear marked on the bottom. I did find the mark on gotheborg it was actually on the homepage but their mark was in red. It said "possibly Zan?" If anyone has any info that would be great thanks!

imari1.jpg imari2.jpg imari3.jpg

aaroncab likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

As I am sure you realize, the impression of this mark is very difficult to discern, particularly because the camera flash has wiped out a portion. I could not find the place on Gotheborg where you saw the red version - which would be a whole lot easier to see. I did not anything that said "possibly Zan" either. Can you be more specific?

FYI - because there is no red in the decor on the plate, I would hesitate to call it Imari. The Imari palette features strong hues of red and blue.

i need help, Jivvy and UncleChuckTX like this.
  3. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

If you go to the website go under where it says "Chinese and Japanese porcelain marks section" you will see the little block of pictures of the marks. Third row down and second from the right. I will try and upload a better picture of the mark tomorrow.

4. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Here is a pic I circled the mark that looked similar to mine

2019-07-31 22.41.03.jpg

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Thanks for pointing it out. But I don't see how it could actually be the same based on what I can see of yours.

i need help likes this.
  6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

6D56506E-4281-48A2-AC5D-1D78D514B857.jpeg D2123FC4-0ECC-40F6-B12D-F8BCD4FD360C.jpeg Maybe someone can do better...

pearlsnblume and aaroncab like this.
  7. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

This is an early 20th c transfer printed dish, the maker is "Shiroiwa" (白岩).

Draft saved Draft deleted