Imari Porcelain?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Kathy Taylor, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Kathy Taylor

Kathy Taylor New Member

Is anyone able to help me identify this plate? All I know is my mother (whi is 94) has had it in her family for at least 70 years and supposedly my grandmother did also. The story is it was one of a matched pair and the other one is somewhere in Massachusetts.

The mark on the back is repeated three times.

Thank you. PLATE4.jpg plate3.jpg plate3.jpg

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

70 years in the family means purchased in the 1950s.
    Which is very possible.

3. Kathy Taylor

Kathy Taylor New Member

My apologies, I guess I was not clear. My mother and her family have owned the piece for as far back as my mother recalls. My mother is 94 at present. She has had possession of the piece for over 70 years having obtained it in the early 1960's when her mother passed. She is certain it was hanging on a wall when she was a child. This would make the puchase earlier than the 1950s.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Try looking at Meiji period. Someone will hopefully know more but that's what comes to mind. I have a similar type plate and that's what I ended up thinking it was.

judy, Any Jewelry and aaroncab like this.
  5. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

this is a late 19thc Japanese and as said above, Meiji period Imari plate.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted