Imari vase, any ideas?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Squidsworth, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Squidsworth

Squidsworth Active Member

Hi all,
    I'm begging as usual for any information on this vase I've picked up. Looks like imari to me, is that right? Any ideas on age?No markings to be found. Looks quite crude but compared to some, not bad. Colour scheme looks unusual. Thanks as always.
    DSC_0548.JPG DSC_0549.JPG DSC_0550.JPG DSC_0551.JPG DSC_0552.JPG DSC_0553.JPG

scoutshouse likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Not "Imari" for 2 reasons - not glazed in the Imari palette - dark red, dark blue and white - the pink is all wrong. Second reason is - not Japanese. The figures around the top rim and at the bottom are typical (although poorly drawn) Chinese symbols.

3. Squidsworth

thanks for the info, another one destined for charity shop then. Lol.

scoutshouse and judy like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Famille Noir, not great quality. Not sure it was made in China.

Quality antique Famille Noir is worth more than Imari. It is the rarest of the Chinese 'Famille' colours, and highly collectible.

Figtree3 and scoutshouse like this.
  5. Squidsworth

I see, probably explains why I don't see so many similar examples then. I'll search on the famille noir term see what I can find, don't suppose you know typical period?
    Thanks.

scoutshouse likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yours is pretty recent and possibly not Chinese made. But if you want to see some beautiful ones, google Qianlong period Famille Noir.

7. Squidsworth

Ok thanks will do.

8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Beautiful pieces online -- thanks for sharing your knowledge, AJ!

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted