Imperial Glass Grapes Cake Stand - Have Some Questions

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ola402, Dec 6, 2019.

1. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I saw this Imperial Glass Vintage Grape pattern cake stand today at a tag sale. I've seen these before in milk glass but I was unable to find an example in blue, much less blue & white. They asked me about it there but I wasn't much help. My mom used to visit the Imperial outlet back in the day. So I was thinking maybe a worker made this one up off hand or the customer ordered it this way. It did look like the pedestal was adhered to the plate, not one solid piece. So it would have been relatively easy for them to make a two tone version. My questions are: 1. has anyone ever seen a 2 tone or even a totally blue one? 2. do you think as I do that it was made off hand? and 3. should I buy it? They priced it at $96 so it was still there late in the day. It might be available tomorrow at half price. What do you think? The 1st photo is what was on their web site. They don't let you steal photos so I had to snap the picture from my monitor. The 2nd photo is a milk glass example that I found at the R site (a clearer image for reference). Thanks!!

DSCF5260.jpg P0000041490S0050T1.jpg

TallCakes likes this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The screen shot should be adequate here, but it's the rare photo that can't be lifted.
    • Move the cursor to the edge of the page, or any blank space.
    • Right click.
    • If you're in the right kind of space, a menu will drop down with a choice called Page Info. Select that.
    • Select the tab that says Media.
    • You have to search the list of files. Usually photos say 'image' or 'background'. You can see what the file is in the preview pane.
    • When you find the right file, you can save it by clicking the Save As button.
    • You can also copy the highlighted file name, e.g., your first photo on this page is https://www.antiquers.com/attachments/dscf5260-jpg.218123/
    • Pasting this into the URL bar will almost always produce a picture that can then be copied.
    Sometimes the images produced this way can be copied but come out too small or too pixellated. A screen shot can work better then.

KikoBlueEyes and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

JMHO, and please forgive me, but I don’t think Imperial should be priced anywhere near that high. I know I can get $30 to $40 for Fenton milk glass cake stands, for Imperial I would ask $20. But maybe the two colors makes a difference, I don’t know.

But of you love it and will use it, the half price may work for you :)

judy likes this.
  4. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

No, I'm not in love with it, just trying to figure out the relative value for resale. You've stated almost exactly my opinion of Imperial Glass and this pattern in particular is not all that popular. Thanks, Marie, that's what I needed to hear, won't be buying it unless it's on fire sale. But I am still curious about its origins.

judy likes this.
  5. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

I've not seen this one in blue in my years of cake stand collecting. The burst and discolored small bubbles in the white would concern me. I'm usually not a fan of these mixed color pieces; tho' it's not that unusual to see the odd mixed colors. I'd love to find one of these in blue. It is overpriced to me but around here the estate and local auctions results are often surprising.

judy and komokwa like this.
  6. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

TC, I scoured the internet looking for a blue one. None came up. I began to think that maybe since the pedestal was glued on, there was another piece that used this same pedestal. So I started looking for other pieces and just couldn't find a thing, other than a sold out punch bowl set on the R site. Blue must be real scarce.

BTW, I also found another cake stand at the same sale, priced more reasonably, and bought it. Found out a lot of information from your posting on CW. TY! This is it.

DSCF5261.jpg

judy and Bronwen like this.
  7. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I think what you see as burst bubbles is just dirt. I'll take a closer look if I go back tomorrow. But I don't think I'll be buying the stand. I'm taking my black light to test the connection between the pedestal and the plate. See if it glows. The connection was very neat and tidy, making me think it was done at the factory.

judy and Bronwen like this.
  8. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

love those ruby Centennial II stands. They once sold really well on eBay.

judy, Bronwen and komokwa like this.
  9. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

The one time I saw cakes stands being made they were made in two pieces and fused together while still fresh from the mold. I do know that more recent ones have been made with an adhesive.

judy likes this.
  10. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I once purchased an Anchor Hocking cake stand "new in box". I opened it and the plate was not attached to the base. I had to glue it myself. Can't remember clearly but I think it came that way from AH. Kind of an LOL moment. The cake plate was so "new", they forgot to finish it.

Draft saved Draft deleted