Import porcelain marks

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by bluemoon, Aug 29, 2017.

1. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

I've been trying to Google this but have not found any conclusive info.
    What are the approximate, or precise years when the orange mark on porcelain saying "import" was in use? I was mainly thinking about the plain one that's only the word in its basic form, but also the other version where "import" is in circular shape. I've seen these on ebay etc a few times and was wondering.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    Joshua Brown likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

What country had these marks, Bluemoon?

Joshua Brown likes this.
  3. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

It was a rococo type figurine I saw online and liked but it had no info about the age. I forgot to bookmark the page, I'll link it if I can find it again.
    Meanwhile here's a similar mark, it says "foreign" instead of "import" but the layout of the mark is identical.
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/531802907/haunted-regency-porcelain-couple-vintage?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=marked foreign&ref=sr_gallery_1

4. Bakersgma

I'm pretty sure we've had UK members mention that items made in Germany post-WW1 and imported to the UK had the "Foreign" marking (to avoid the bad feeling about Germany after the war.) But I have never seen an item marked "Import" without reference to the country of origin here in the US.

SBSVC and yourturntoloveit like this.
  5. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

I remember reading somewhere about post-WW2 Japanese items having marks something along the lines of import or foreign without the country of manufacture.

6. Bakersgma

In the US, they were marked "Occupied Japan" until the early 50's.

bluemoon likes this.
  7. Bakersgma

And on top of that, US law has required country of origin since the early 1900's. No way to get around that with "fudge words."

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  8. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Bluemoon, I'm wondering if this might have been what you saw:

Chikaramachi, Made In Japan. In use on porcelain made at the Noritake factory, Chikaramachi branch, during 1928-1946. Mark occurs in black and red. Porcelain intended for the United Kingdom market uses "Foreign" instead of Made in Japan.

http://www.gotheborg.com/marks/20thcenturyjapan.shtml

(Scroll down to Chikaramachi branch factory of Noritake)

bluemoon likes this.
  9. KentWhirled

KentWhirled Well-Known Member

Yeah, the "foreign" designation was used in items from countries that the import country was formerly at war with. Both post WW1 and WW2, but I've seen more of the WW2. The red circle "donut" mark makes me think Germany.

Draft saved Draft deleted