Featured Impossible ring query

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Northern Lights Lodge, Dec 15, 2020.

1. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,
    I posted sometime ago; someplace that I was working on a family embroidery book project to house some insignificant family items. An aunt recently sent me some additional items to add to the pages. Among the items was this ring. All she said was that it was her grandfather Leonard's. I believe he lived in the Chicago area - and married 1896. I believe that he was a lather - and therefore in building trades. Could it possibly be "masonic"? It is in horrible condition. SO so worn!
    IMG_7181.JPG IMG_7181.JPG
    IMG_7182.JPG

I "think' the stuff at the top and bottom of the oval are not words... under magnification, they just look like a design - what's left of it. I only see scratches on the inside and a splice on the inside back/outside back... leading me to believe that it could have been made smaller/ perhaps because it had been broken?
    IMG_7183.JPG

It is obviously VERY VERY well worn. I do know that this man's father was in the Civil War. Is it possible that it is older than Leonard? and perhaps is Civil War related?

Dare I clean it up? I doubt that it has any value... not even sure it is sterling.

No matter the outcome; it is the perfect thing to add to the book of family mementoes!

Merry Christmas!
    Cheerio Leslie

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
  2. Northern Lights Lodge

In addition to the ring; the auntie sent two crucifixes from their rosaries. The one on the left was Grandfathers - quite masculine I think... and is marked "German"... I'm not sure what the black is... it is cut to fit and doesn't look like ebony. I see no grain.
    IMG_7186b.JPG
    IMG_7185.JPG

The fancy one is marked sterling and has a partial maker mark... any ideas?

Cheerio Leslie

KSW, pearlsnblume and komokwa like this.
  3. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

I do not know the age of your ring. I do recognize the worn image as the Seal of the U.S.

The following are similar to yours. In a quick search, the top is closest to yours. The other is the type my father wore during and after WWII. His is just as worn as yours.

Screen Shot 2020-12-15 at 5.04.22 PM.png

His was not military issue. He said that he bought it in the PX (Post exchange, a store operated by the Army and Air Force Exchange Service on US Army posts.)

James

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's a good keepsake !

5. Northern Lights Lodge

@Roaring20s
    Well, that certainly looks like it could be it to me! The bands are so similar and the shape of the emblem! EXCELLENT!!! Thank you so much James! Much appreciated! In an interesting sidebar... he didn't serve in WWII... none of them did to my knowledge... hmmm...
    Cheerio, Leslie

KSW and pearlsnblume like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

These were made in Schwäbisch Gmünd in southern Germany, the black is local bog oak. They were made for rosaries, a speciality of Schwäbisch Gmünd, but not specifically for men.

7. Northern Lights Lodge

@Any Jewelry Oh that is wonderful to know! I've always have loved "bog oak" but it never crossed my mind that that is what it was! Thank you so much for your info! Leslie

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

My pleasure, Leslie.:)

Draft saved Draft deleted