Impresionist? Latin American oil painting - help with artist - should I buy it?

Discussion in 'Art' started by chantaljones, Apr 18, 2020.

1. chantaljones

chantaljones Well-Known Member

Hi all.

I can buy this painting and thought let me first ask here on the forum before I buy it.
    It looks Latin American to me and is offered to me as a mid 20th century painting. I do like it the colors and it is a busy scene, but I do not want to overpay as they are asking £200 for it.

I can not make out the signature and these are the only pictures I received and I can not get other ones.

Anybody here familiar with Latin American names or knows who the artist could be?

llllllllllll.jpg

llllllllll.jpg

llllllll.jpg

lllllll.jpg

llllll.jpg

lllll.jpg

llll.jpg

hghg.JPG

lll.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
    Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

This is very pretty, festive, sorry but I don't recognize the signature.

I looked at one church in San Juan Capistrano, as it resembles such to me, but it's not an identical match. It was close.

If you want to show the frame and the back of the painting, that would possibly date it.

Christmasjoy and chantaljones like this.
  3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

No, this is not what I would call an - "impressionist" painting. It looks more folk art, but not ancient. Looks to have been painted in the mid-to-LATER twentieth century, as a tourist piece, oil painting. It's not terribly well done and I'd not spend money in this direction.

@chantaljones

Fid, Christmasjoy and chantaljones like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is Peruvian. The hats are Peruvian Andes, they have different shapes in different regions and towns.

5. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Is your intentions to buy and keep or resell? Also how big is it?

6. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

Chinchero Cusco, Peru.

7. Any Jewelry

That's it. I knew it wasn't Pisac, but couldn't think of any of the others.

8. chantaljones

Thank you. now I got a starting point.
    I cant get a picture of the back or frame. Its a listing on our local classifieds website. offered as being mid 20th century
    If its low value and a good investment I'll keep it. If its very expensive than I prefer the cash. :)
    thank you, maybe I can find artist from this region that match

9. chantaljones

10. chantaljones

I think your right. Seems like a lot of artists painted this view. Its a tourist place so would yes a lot of money to be made with selling souvenirs.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

If you like it and you're going to hang it and the price is reasonable, I'd say grab it. For resale .... coin flip. If Spanish decor and art are popular where you're going to sell it and it's cheap, go for it. It wouldn't be something I'd buy, but I don't generally buy art unless I have an end buyer in mind or it's going on my wall.

12. Any Jewelry

Yes, it is the market at Chinchero.
    It seems the gateway in front the tower was rebuilt since yours was painted, in the painting you googled it is wider and all white. I noticed that on photos of Chincheros too.
    That could help date yours, should you want to find out. My guess would be 1960s-70s.

13. chantaljones

not so sure if I want to pay a 3 figure amount for a decorative painting. I dont mind paying for a listed artist with a track record. Its a colorful painting but I ned to be careful with spending at the moment with this pandemic.
    That is a very good observation. If it is around that period than it could still be interesting to find out who the artist is.

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

yes....buy it now.........buy it fast......then you're sure you have it !

Draft saved Draft deleted