Featured Impressionist? Landscape; J.M. Sprecher 1925

Discussion in 'Art' started by wlwhittier, Jul 21, 2022.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

The image is 5" X 3⅞"; it appears to be watercolor over pen & ink outline, and is very much brighter that my pics show. It's in an original frame, which I haven't opened.

The Sprecher person doesn't show as an artist, at least where I've looked.

And my question about impressionist is open; is it of that genre?

Your comments are eagerly solicited, and thanks!

fullsizeoutput_99fe.jpeg fullsizeoutput_99ff.jpeg fullsizeoutput_99fd.jpeg

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

3. wlwhittier

Mr. Sprecher was a Professional Engineer, and a Cartographer...in 1959. Thats a great place to start looking...Thanks!

4. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

A very pretty painting, pleasing color combinations. It has a storybook quality to it and even though it isn't realistic, it makes me want to walk into that landscape and soak up the aura.

5. wlwhittier

Yup, pretty evocative...nice, gentle observation, thanks.
    It was done 34 years prior to the map date, and his talent was mature...so he's long gone. I'm still gonna dig for more on that artist...

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

7. wlwhittier

Very Well Done! Yes, much better...and Thanks!

LauraGarnet02 and Aquitaine like this.
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Always happy to play!!!!!:smuggrin::joyful:

wlwhittier and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I wouldn't call it impressionist. It looks to be very much of it's time. I guess I'd call it Deco (if it must have a name).

10. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I agree :)

11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I don't have a name for the style, but am pretty certain it's not Impressionist.

wlwhittier and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  12. LauraGarnet02

I can't remember who or when or where exactly, decades ago maybe when I was a teenager or a bit younger, someone described impressionist paintings as being made by an artist who has astigmatism.

I can see that as truthful. Glasses on, I can see the individual leaves on the trees. Glasses off, everything is a blurry, blended blob. :joyful:

So whenever I see blurry, blended, misty looking art, I think impressionist. Whether that's right or wrong I don't know. I'm just wondering has anyone else ever heard the astigmatism theory?

To me this little Sprecher watercolor looks like something that would hang in an Arts and Crafts era home. So in my mind I would call it an Arts and Crafts painting.

wlwhittier likes this.
  13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I think the charge of astigmatism was leveled against the Mannerist painter El Greco.

Debora

14. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Whoever said that wasn't much impressed by impressionism.

All of the various "isms" are fuzzy in their application. Broad generalities are used to pigeon-hole artists who are really very diverse in their individual styles. The "isms" are as much an expression of the sharing of ideas between contemporaries, the spirit-of-the-moment, as anything else.

15. LauraGarnet02

Level a charge, that makes it sound like he was being accused of a crime. :joyful: Astigmatism is not a crime!

The whole point of this lecture I received about impressionist paintings was that those people were painting what they actually saw because they had astigmatism. Maybe it was my eye doctor! I wish I could remember who it was.

Potteryplease and wlwhittier like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Nowhere near Impressionism in period or style, and it doesn't need to be. It is a sweet picture, which doesn't need to be embellished with an academic term. It corresponds with the Art Deco period, and it is painted in one of the techniques that were popular. It is reminiscent of pyrography, which was also fashionable at the time.

If I think long and hard, the term that comes to mind is Cloisonnism, which refers to the strong outlines, but it is a name given to a 'higher' art.
    Paul Gauguin was one of the best known Cloisonnists, and that is the level of art it is usually used for. Gauguin was also a Fauvist, a term he probably preferred.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2022
    Bakersgma likes this.
  17. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes it was. My mother always went on about that, but I said that if he saw the world that way, it would have turned out 'normal' on canvas, because he would also see his canvases that way. If that makes sense. (It didn't to my mother.:hilarious:)
    I can't believe an entire group of unrelated people all had astigmatism.;)

BoudiccaJones likes this.
  18. JayBee

JayBee Well-Known Member

Nice basis for a stained glass piece.

wlwhittier, Aquitaine and Figtree3 like this.
  19. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

Reminds me of a William Seltzer Rice woodblock print. Very nice, I would put it up on my wall.

Figtree3 likes this.
  20. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

As always, would like to see the frame.

Debora

wlwhittier likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted