In need of information

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Angela Childress, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Angela Childress

Angela Childress New Member

Hi everyone, I'm new here and I just have some questions. My great grandfather's farm house is scheduled to be demolished next week and I have acquired this chifferobe that belonged to him. I have searched and cant find any information about a piece like this. I have found similar pieces with square mirrors where the round one is but nothing with a round mirror. I know its is pretty rough shape and I want to restore it as best I can. I guess my questions are does anyone know anything about how old this is, where it came from or anything? And any advice on restoring it? Should I strip the finish or try to save it? I'm new to antique furniture so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Attached Files:

KSW and Ghopper1924 like this.
  2. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Nice one Angela! On a sadder note, I hope the loss of the farmhouse isn't too heartbreaking.

This looks to be walnut, ca. 1920s or so. I like the round "porthole" mirror, which is a reference to "steamship moderne" from the early 20th century. As far as the finish goes, Howard's Restore a Finish is a big favorite around here. You might try some on a small section of the chiffarobe and see if it gives you the desired results. It's usually better - and less work - to restore the finish rather than stripping the piece. However, if it should turn out that you need to strip it, don't worry: Many pieces have achieved fine results that way, and your piece is not above the dollar threshold where you absolutely need to keep the original finish to keep the piece's value.

PortableTreasures, verybrad and KSW like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Isn't that the sweetest thing? Can see why you'd want to preserve it. Very good advice above.

Debora

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Think it a tad later, 30s to early 40s. Likely American. Doubt this is really walnut. Maybe poplar or birch stained to mimic walnut. Did you add the board across the bottom or was it always there? This is how furniture is often shipped and meant to be removed.

Draft saved Draft deleted