? Incised flame and fire staff or T or sword mark on pretty blush colour vanity tray

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Miss Kasia Zawadzka, Jul 20, 2020.

1. Miss Kasia Zawadzka

Miss Kasia Zawadzka New Member

[​IMG] So I’m not going to make any assumptions as to the material because I still don’t understand the difference between pottery, porcelain, soft/hard paste, but here we have a vanity tray with an incised mark that I haven’t been able to find as of yet! Another one I’ve been trying to identify for a couple of weeks. Any help is appreciated - thankyou!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

antidiem likes this.
  2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I don't know the mark but did look a few places. It can be hard to look when you don't know what it is you're looking at. A paw print? A sword, a tree, the letter T?

Anyway, it's not the type of item I know much about though others may. Perhaps a photo of the whole base would provide a lead as the way things are made can be helpful.

antidiem likes this.
  4. antidiem

Agreed, and I did look a few places too. I even looked for fire and a palm tree lol because I'm not sure what the characters are, but didn't find there. SIS makes for a good point to show the whole bottom. At first I thought it was a typical 50s vanity, but now I think it could be older.

5. Miss Kasia Zawadzka

Thanks for your reply - I know it’s difficult to make out the mark

I will put up a photo of the whole of the bottom of it :)

thanks for your help :)!

antidiem likes this.
  6. Miss Kasia Zawadzka

[​IMG]

This is the back of the tray. :)

7. antidiem

Yes, it looks older than 1950s and I think probably not American, not California pottery. It has the "look" of old German soft paste pottery, but this is just my guess. Where (what country) did you get it from? Here is a wiki link about -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soft-paste_porcelain

I am not a pottery expert, but other members may be, please wait for others to weigh in..

8. Miss Kasia Zawadzka

Hi there
    I’m from England and purchased it here :)

antidiem likes this.
  9. antidiem

Draft saved Draft deleted