Featured Incredible Very Old Painting

Discussion in 'Art' started by NoahLArt, Dec 22, 2021.

1. NoahLArt

NoahLArt Member

Screenshot_20211222-013345~2-min.png Screenshot_20211222-013345~3-min.png Screenshot_20211222-013654~2-min.png Screenshot_20211222-013814_2-min.png Came across this painting locally and as someone who looks at many art pieces, I've never been as stunned by an individual piece. Appears, from the back, to be very old and in my opinion very well done. Any ideas on the artist (not signed). I found a piece that gave the same feel to me (Interior with Soldiers and Women - Jacob Duck), but I'm not an expert in dating and I can't reasonably tell the difference in 150 and 300 years old.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2021
    Aquitaine, reader, kyratango and 7 others like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

great painting....looks very old and expensive.... but WDIK ???

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome @NoahLArt . I added one of your photos to my post.
    Your painting reminds me of Jacob Duck paintings too, but even though yours is nice and skilfully painted, it doesn't have the high quality of Jacob Duck paintings.
    I think it is more likely a 19th century genre painting, inspired by 17th century paintings like those by Jacob Duck.

With those pieces of armour I imagine the two gentlemen could be discussing ways to defend their town against the Spanish during the Dutch war of independence. The 19th century was the age of nationalism throughout the Western world, when national identity was discovered and emphasised through historic scenes and grand statues.

(Yes people, Jacob Duck was a real person, a 17th century Dutch painter.:playful:)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Is it painted on panel? If so, what kind? What is the size?

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Wasn't familiar with Jacob Duck so -- ahem -- had a gander. Certainly in his style but Duck seems to have been a mini-Vermeer in his ability to paint light. I'd think a 19th century genre painting too, perhaps a copy. De-framing it will tell you more.

Debora

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

And do tell us how you came by it and what you were told about it.

Debora

Born2it and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  7. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

It looks as if the client is discussing a commission with the armorer. See the anvil, forge, burnisher and workbench? Here is a similar scene by Jacomin. https://www.bukowskis.com/en/lots/360026-alfred-louis-vigny-jacomin-olja-pa-panna-sign Jacomin.jpg

KikoBlueEyes, komokwa, reader and 2 others like this.
  8. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Is there something written on the frame? A496E346-2C07-4DF8-B0D4-69442DE16622.jpeg

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

A subject Jacomin returned to.

Debora

H0046-L03131078.jpg

10. Any Jewelry

I didn't before, but now that you mention it. I was trying to focus on what was behind the guy in yellow, a bit to the left. It almost looks like a modern style globe?:confused:

KikoBlueEyes and Darkwing Manor like this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

And it should look like this?

Debora

image_article.php.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Beautiful, that looks like a Dutch Blaeu globe, so yes, that would have been appropriate.:)
    If the object in OPs painting that looks like a globe, is a globe, it looks rather modern.

13. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

I interpret that as the upholstery of the high back chair he is sitting on. Similar form.. but none of which is getting us any closer to the artist! image.jpg

14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The plaque at the bottom of frame may provide that information.

Debora

Darkwing Manor and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Of course! My funny brain was playing tricks on me again.;) I have my screen on its darkest setting, which doesn't help either.

Darkwing Manor and komokwa like this.
  16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yes, of course. Thank you for pointing that out.

Debora

Darkwing Manor likes this.
  17. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

I don't know, the panel and the frame look like a marriage to me. Something about the panel doesn't seem right. For something as old as it is supposed to be, I would think the growth rings would be narrower. If the painting is on the panel, it seems to be a bit thin for a panel. I don't see any joints, which would lead you to believe it is solid. Just my prospective as a woodworker, I don't have much expertise in paintings of that era. I am also curious as to why the original poster did not include the information on the tag on the front, it would seem to be the first thing you would mention.

Fid, komokwa and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  18. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Screenshot_20211222-013345_2-min.jpg Screenshot_20211222-013345_2-min 1.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  19. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's the chair....u can see it between the guys legs..

oh.....

[​IMG]

and no one mentioned that this pic somehow makes the guy look like a dwarf..!!!

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:......:eek::eek:.........:inpain::inpain::inpain:

20. Hi2022

Hi2022 Well-Known Member

I see many dots, when i enlarge the pics. Is it a picture thing or could it be printed?

Any Jewelry, KikoBlueEyes and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted