Featured INDIA? STRINGED INSTRUMENT - WHAT DID I FIND?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Apr 16, 2018.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I saw this behind the counter at a local thrift store today - it was marked $79 but was 1/2 price because of the color tag it had!
    I googled 'India stringed instruments' and found some that look similar, but non have the 2 "handles" underneath.
    What did I find today? Is it worth the $35 I paid for it?
    I appreciate any help.
    AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY MUSIC INDIA INSTRUMENT 1AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY MUSIC INDIA INSTRUMENT 2AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY MUSIC INDIA INSTRUMENT 4AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY MUSIC INDIA INSTRUMENT 3AAAA.jpg
    THIS WAS A NOTE INSIDE CASE THAT MAKES ME BELIEVE THIS IS FROM INDIA/PAKISTAN, etc..?
    CAN ANYONE READ IT - BECAUSE I'LL NEVER GET THIS INTO GOOGLE TRANSLATE!

AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY MUSIC INDIA INSTRUMENT 9ZAA.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is an Erhu, from China. The handles are tuning keys. The skin is traditionally python.

3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

AAAAAARRRGGGHHH.......that would cure me right there!!!!:eek::eek::eek::stop:

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's very nice..

Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It sounds a bit like a violin when handled properly. Nice find! No clue what they retail for new-ish, but odds are they're not cheap.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

I've got no idea of retail value either; they do come in all qualities, from souvenir wall-hangers that are virtually unplayable to professional instruments.
    This looks to be of very good quality, judging by the nice fitted case.

Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Prices I've seen on these range from the low $100s to five or six thousand dollars. No idea which end this is on, but this isn't a tourist souvenir; that's a professional case.

Aquitaine and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. journeymagazine

weeee! (thank you!)

Aquitaine, Christmasjoy and aaroncab like this.
  9. journeymagazine

I accidentally pulled the bow across the strings while photographing it & it does sound like a violin.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  10. journeymagazine

Christmasjoy likes this.
  11. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Probably not hard to find a replacement skin since Florida is over run with the snakes.

12. Any Jewelry

Surely not pythons?
    The python skin influences the sound, not sure any old snake would do.;)

Christmasjoy likes this.
  13. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

We are too good at that. The introduction of non-native animals and plants is always detrimental to native species. The US is a very poignant example, just look at what the introduction of European and Asian cattle has done to the West.
    Some idiots are still releasing exotic animals in the wild. And then there are those cases where we could (once again) question the policies on zoos and private ownership of exotic animals.
    Mind you, many of our usual pets originated in other parts of the world as well, a good reason not to let them roam freely in fragile eco-systems.

Found some more info on how the python terror started:
    http://www.reptileknowledge.com/articles/article22.php

Some British restaurants now have American grey squirrel on their menus, in an effort to protect the endangered native red squirrel. Other countries are doing similar things with non-native wildlife that is rampant in their region.

Jeff Drum likes this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Last summer someone thought it a good idea to release 80 goldfish in a Dutch canal, he thought they would brighten up the place:rolleyes::banghead::
    [​IMG]

He was found, fined, and ordered to get them out himself. He did get some help:
    [​IMG]

They have now put a native species, 'goudwinde', in the canal, just as pretty:
    [​IMG]

Christmasjoy likes this.
  16. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

It sounds even better when you do it on purpose.

17. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Hopefully the goudwinde will eat any remaining goldfish before they get to be huge and take over. I can't believe he counted to make sure he had them all.

18. journeymagazine

I almost sold mine for $50 to someone from craigslist, but when I took it out I noticed mine DOES have python skin! (I can't believe I never looked at it that closely before!) I told the guy I couldn't sell it until I checked further - the ones with the snakeskin are the most valuable, correct?
    Thanks!

AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY MUSIC INDIA INSTRUMENT 7AA.jpg

19. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

I don't know if the snakeskin necessarily makes it more valuable; boas or pythons might be quite common in the area it comes from. But the case is of very nice quality, and that implies that the instrument itself might be pretty high quality.
    In the US, a violin case of similar quality would probably sell for $50 to $200 or more, empty; I've seen $500 violin cases, and up.....
    I don't know where you would find someone to give you a good estimate of quality and value; but one possibility, depending on your location, might be to see if you have a Chinese orchestra or Chinese musicians nearby; they might be willing to take a look at it, and might even be interested in making an offer.
    For comparison, here's a seller of erhus https://www.soundofmountain.com/erhu/
    Also mentions that theirs come with CITES certificates, which may be an issue, depending....
    Their list prices are from $250 to $1700. And I couldn't guess where in that range yours falls.

20. journeymagazine

Great idea - plus give me a reason to go to a very nice (& expensive) Chinese restaurant near me that I like, and hopefully get an idea of it's worth at the same time!
    Thank you!

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted