Featured Indian Bangle - Gold, Enamel & Diamonds

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Ratsy Brown, May 6, 2021.

1. Ratsy Brown

Ratsy Brown Well-Known Member

I keep getting very lucky with eBay finds recently. This bangle had already been listed once with zero bids. I only paid £80.

I have tested the diamonds, which are all real. Gold is untested but others I have seen for sale are described as 20-22k gold.

Not the best condition, has a repair on the band, a couple of missing stones and missing enamel. But I'm very happy.

Weighs 64 grams

PXL_20210506_050852794_compress36.jpg PXL_20210506_051700904_compress9.jpg

2. Roshan Ko

Roshan Ko Well-Known Member

Hi @ratsy
    This appears to be a minakari bangle or a bangle with meena/mina work. Which is effectively enamel on a metal.

It could be gold. The bangle is normally filled with wax so that it can maintain that shape.

3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

4. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

I'd be amazed if it was all solid gold underneath, surely you wouldn't cover all that gold with decoration ?

komokwa, Ratsy Brown and judy like this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

You would. I've a modern gold necklace bought in Dubai which is all enamel work on gold. Probably Indian made.

reader, komokwa, KikoBlueEyes and 3 others like this.
  6. charlie cheswick

Seems mad to me to cover all that gold with enamel, looking at other examples online though it's looking pretty promising

7. gregtheelder

gregtheelder Active Member

Hi Charlie,
    There was a very sizable Indian community in Edison NJ. I used to get wonderful items from yard sales there. They just wanted rid of grandma's stuff since it was so old fashion. My best was four solid gold bangles for for 2 dollars.
    greg

reader, komokwa, Aquitaine and 5 others like this.
  8. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

reader, komokwa, Firemandk and 7 others like this.
  9. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

Ha, born and raised in Edison, NJ, up until late 70’s. I hear that in India, the number one place on brochures in America to move is Edison. It has changed a lot from the once small little town. Very built up now. Still love to visit my old memories from time to time. :)

kyratango, KikoBlueEyes and judy like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Great find Ratsy.:happy:
    I agree with @Roshan Ko and @kyratango , a beautiful Indian meenakari bangle. The bangle may not be old enough to qualify as Mughal, but the enameling technique was brought to Rajasthan during the Mughal era.

These green and red enamels are typical of Jaipur, Rajasthan, which is a major centre of meenakari manufacture. Red enamel especially, is highly sought after.

Last edited: May 6, 2021
    reader, Xristina, komokwa and 7 others like this.
  11. charlie cheswick

12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

And even more Makharas, for protection.:)

13. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

OOOH LAA LAA.....What Charlie found for image!! $8,674.34 USD Yummm!

BRACELET.jpg

reader, komokwa, Firemandk and 3 others like this.
  14. Ratsy Brown

Ratsy Brown Well-Known Member

Thank you all for your help and research skills, it is all so useful

Draft saved Draft deleted