Indian/Cairoware pot

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by gouldcx, Jul 12, 2022.

1. gouldcx

gouldcx Active Member

Hi there,

Wondering how I would go about finding info on the below cairoware pot. Seems to have an engraving on the mouth of it but it may be nothing. 1100160872.jpg 20220711_210851.jpg 20220711_210934.jpg 20220711_210947.jpg 20220711_211001.jpg 20220711_210851.jpg

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is a beauty, but I'm not seeing Cairoware. Cairoware has silver and copper inlay, often of Islamic script or ancient Egyptian figures.

This looks like an engraved Indian (India) water pot to me.

3. gouldcx

gouldcx Active Member

Looking up the indian water pots i would think you are correct. Any advise for cleaning an item such as this? Love to know if the engraving means anything

Any Jewelry likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I would only get rid of the polish residue, a good wash can do that. Dry well afterwards to prevent verdigris. You may have to repeat it, because it gets stuck in all those thin lines.
    Downside is that the engraving doesn't stand out as much anymore, but the residue isn't supposed to be there.
    It probably does, but in which language? India has many languages, mostly written in one of the Devanagari scripts, but some in a modified Arabic script.
    Maybe you could ask in an Indian restaurant. If they don't know, try a Pakistani restaurant.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2022