Indian Maiden painting

Discussion in 'Art' started by Jet, Dec 11, 2020.

1. Jet

Jet Still learning how to dance in the rain...

Frame
    18 1/2" wide
    25 1/2" tall

Inside of frame
    14 1/2" wide
    21 1/2" tall

Marked:

COOL OF THE EVENING
    BY ETHEL MAY COFFMAN

CONRAD, HUG GALLERIES INC. 1011A GRAND AVE. KANSAS CITY, MO.

I purchased this years ago in a small thrift store. It had all the earmarks to me of an older well made frame, and the brass plaque stating the name of the piece and artist on the bottom, with another on the back stating a gallery name and address seemed unusual to me if it had been done by an amateur, but who knows? You can buy a plaque and put it on anything. It did peak my interest though. It is behind glass, and difficult to photograph without flash which of course reflects poorly, so let me know if better photos are needed
    20201211_155126.jpg 20201211_154621.jpg 20201211_155040.jpg 20201211_154828.jpg 20201211_154057.jpg
    I "think" it's oil on a black canvas board. (?) The details of her face do not have a distinct Native American Indian look to me, and the frame of her body is that of a larger size woman than those of the well known Indian Maiden calendar prints. I know only what I like, and could not claim to know much about art, but I have to say that this particular painting does not speak to me personally. I prefer more detail, something more realistic, closer to a photograph, and this seems to be a more abstract view of the subject to me if I'm using the word correctly, but again, what do I know? I do believe it's old, and have read in at least one case that James Arthur had painted over an actual photograph to create an Indian Maiden print. Could he possibly have drawn inspiration for one of his prints from an original painting?

Clearly a 'version' of "In the Cool of the Evening" Indian Maiden print from the early 1900's by James Arthur.

My question is, which came first? lol. If this is Ethel May Coffman's version of what she saw in a print, why is it framed, or marked with plaques I should say, from a gallery well known during the early 1900's for important acquisitions in the art world? Could it have actually been displayed in the gallery, maybe just a piece for a local artist show, or simply a frame job done for perhaps a well to do customer with an amateur unknown artists piece of work?

I've searched the internet for Ethel May Coffman and found no mention of her anywhere in artists names, genealogy records, or obituaries.

Many thanks in advance for any thoughts you might share!

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Given its quality, I would think yours was an amateur copy. And I'm surprised you can find no Ethel May Coffman. This came up quickly on familysearch.org and may well be she, given her age and location.

Debora

James-Arthur-Indian-Maiden-Vintage-Calendar-full-2o-720-41-c22a1e.jpg

Any Jewelry, komokwa and Jet like this.
  3. Jet

Thank you Debora! I thought it was odd too that I couldn't seem to find her. Obviously I wasn't thorough enough and will try again. I am confused though, did you mean that photo of a print came up along with her name?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Apologies. I meant to include this in my last post.

Debora

Screen Shot 2020-12-11 at 1.36.20 PM.png

Jet likes this.
  5. Jet

Ah! Thank you! I agree, an amateur piece. I suppose the Gallery possibly did framing for customers as well. The plaques from a rather well known gallery just seemed unusual to me.

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I think someone had it fancy-framed. May well have been a suitor.

Debora

Jet likes this.
  7. Jet

Lol! Sure makes sense. Probably!

Draft saved Draft deleted