Featured Indian or Persian bracelet?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Bev aka thelmasstuff, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Interesting bracelet I was given this weekend. New or old? Indian or Turkish/Persian? I really like it. Was supposed to be my daughter's but she didn't care for it.

IMG_0486.JPG IMG_0485.JPG IMG_0484.jpg IMG_0487.JPG

Christmasjoy, Figtree3, judy and 5 others like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that's nice !!!

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  3. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd have jumped on that so fast.... Anchor chain with those dangles? No clue whodunnit, but your daughter's loss is your gain!

5. Bev aka thelmasstuff

I need to dig out a magnifying glass to really look for marks. None obvious.

Christmasjoy, i need help and judy like this.
  6. komokwa

it sure looks like silver.....what with all the nice stones....

7. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

how long ? reminds me of anklets for dancers.

8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

North African I think. That pearl looks a bit out of place. Lovely bracelet.

Christmasjoy, i need help and judy like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

This is a difficult one.
    That raised rosette on the clasp is used a lot in Iran, as are box clasps in general.
    The half circle wires and the cannetille decorations on both charms and links look Indian.
    The agate signet looks Islamic, it could be considered an 'aqeeq', after the stone in the Prophet's signet ring. An agate aqeeq would make it Middle East, or Islamic India/Pakistan.
    Islamic signets are not always used for seals, so they can be convex and even without engraving. The stone itself has a spiritual meaning.
    But North Africa, with its many influences, never ceases to amaze me, so obb could be right.

Right now my vote is for the general region of NW India-Pakistan, which still has an Indo-Persian influence.
    And an arm bracelet. Although ankle bracelets often have dangles, those are usually bells, for dancing. An aqeeq would not be worn on the ankle.

A totally different continent: I see a lot of those silver leaf-shaped applications on old Brazilian jewellery, so who knows.
    The shape of the links suggests a European influence, wherever.....

Bev, I'm so glad I could narrow it down for you.:hilarious::hilarious::sorry::bag:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  10. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

LOL, oh dear, even AJ is stumped! Happens to me ALL the time with old furniture, welcome to my world! :)

11. Any Jewelry

Very familiar to me too. I have to collect obscure things, of course.:rolleyes:
    I mean ethnic/regional jewellery? And Austro-Hungarian jewellery, especially from the 'Saxon' minority of Transylvania? (Who aren't necessarily Saxon btw.) Who in their right mind even does that?
    Not to mention all the other oddities scattered around the house....

In my defence, I never claimed to be in my right mind.:smuggrin:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  12. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Bev, Maybe check here, maybe some writing? 88684EB4-5843-4EC3-99A4-7F94F3B5BA2C.jpeg

Christmasjoy, Figtree3, Jivvy and 3 others like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

I think Hunting has done it again.:)

14. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Aha! Good eye. It says 800. Definitely bracelet. Fits me.

Also, there is one link with no dangly thing so something is missing. Maybe I can find something to take its place. It's a bit much at my age, but so cool.

Sadly, her paternal grandmother died and the rest of the family went in and pretty much cleaned out the house. When we were there, the cousins were all saying, "that's spoken for" to just about everything, furniture, silver, etc. She got a glass chandelier and some trinkets. It wasn't the loss of stuff, but the fact that her father's family were so greedy and mean about it. I know it happens, but it's always terrible when it does. I was there for moral support and had to keep my mouth shut. Probably the most difficult thing ever for me!

IMG_0498.jpg

15. Any Jewelry

And it looks good on you.:)
    Could you show us the mark?
    Italy keeps popping up in my mind, because they made a lot of Orientalist jewellery. In the 60s they made gorgeous gold charm bracelets with big, gem-studded charms.
    And 800 is a very Italian fineness. And very a lot of other places of course.:rolleyes:
    Anyway, seeing the mark might help.

16. komokwa

but you showed her what a good person you can be under stress......
    & that's a good thing !!

17. i need help

7683FEE2-6F38-4776-8773-34611EC3F472.jpeg I hate when things like that happen, but you showed grace!

Not saying this is where yours are from, but maybe you can find a close enough replacement from Nepal. These are beads, all I found quickly. They must have something similar in the form you need.

Christmasjoy and James Conrad like this.
  18. Any Jewelry

But Bev's are not from Nepal.:(

19. i need help

Closest I could find lookwise for a replacement. Maybe someone can find closer.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  20. Any Jewelry

Best not to concentrate on the fact that there are 'stones', but on the silver techniques. That is where the distinction usually is.
    But I hope a photo of the mark will tell us more.:)

Christmasjoy, judy and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted