indian painting

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by francoisedwards, Mar 3, 2021.

1. hello I would like to know a bit more about this painting. It was bought in India (hence title of thread!) although it is clearly middle eastern origin. Size is 25.5 by 14cm. Photos show an inscription to the side and also some written text on the back.
    I would love to know more about what the painting represents, its exact origin, what the text says and of course what value it is as I am looking to sell it online
    thanks DSC_0575.jpg DSC_0576.jpg DSC_0577.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Bakersgma likes this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The scene is a Mughal court scene with female musicians, painted in the style of Mughal miniatures.
    As you may have seen on the Worthpoint page, this is a recent painting, painted on a page from an old book. They use slightly veiled language, but the information is there.

The painters of NW India discovered that there fine paintings sell better if they have a suggestion of history.
    The books the pages are from are often from the offices and libraries the Urdu speaking people had to leave behind during the Partition of the Indian Sub-continent. Urdu is written in a modified Arabic script.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
Draft saved Draft deleted