Featured Indian silk + cotton fabric - dresser scarf? table cover?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by SBSVC, Feb 19, 2020.

1. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Years ago, when we lived in the DC area, our next door neighbor was the Naval Attaché attached to the Embassy of India. His lovely wife gave me this item as a hostess gift at one of our dinner parties. I have never known anything about it and have never used it. Although it has been folded away for maybe 30 years, it has picked up some spots and probably stains.

The full piece measures 22" wide x 43" long, plus fringe. It appears to be a length of silk, backed by cotton.

I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me anything about it, including its intended use(?) Is the gold metallic thread woven in to the silk, or how do they make this sort of fabric?

Indian pink silk 3.JPG Indian pink silk 2.JPG Indian pink silk 1.JPG

This rather sloppy machine stitching leads me to believe that the maker was perhaps a "home sewer".
    (One thing I can say for certain is that my neighbor did NOT make it herself!)
    Indian pink silk 6.JPG

I DO know that Two x Two fabric is made in India. This is the cotton side:
    Indian pink silk 5.JPG

Thanks very much for your input!

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I couldn't tell you a thing about it either, but it IS LOVELY, and the color IS BEAUTIFUL!!!!!:):) But here's a heightened view of the lettering if it helps... NOT sure of the letter in front of the 'H' though..........do you KNOW what it says @SBSVC ???

Indian pink silk 5-XX.jpg

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  3. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Thanks, Aqui - I agree! I am not normally what you'd call a "pink" person (RED is more my thing) but I also think it's a lovely color!

pearlsnblume, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

Perhaps it is a sari that has been repurposed into a shawl.

5. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    patd8643, pearlsnblume, Pat P and 4 others like this.
  6. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Thank you, Stracci - that's a good point.

Thanks, 2many. I was reading that wrong & kept seeing Chatau, which brought up nothing...

pearlsnblume, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  7. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Sorry, Aqui - I didn't see your question before...

I think my reply to 2Many (above) answers that question! (Nope, I did NOT know what the letter was - I thought I did, but I was wrong!)

pearlsnblume and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. Aquitaine

AND NOW I see part of the letter 'K'!!!!!!!!! NEAT!!!!!!

pearlsnblume, SBSVC and Christmasjoy like this.
  9. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

pearlsnblume, SBSVC and Christmasjoy like this.
  10. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

LOVE IT !!! ... Joy. :):):)

pearlsnblume and SBSVC like this.
  11. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Thanks, Flipper. I really don't think it's meant to be a scarf, because 1) it's awfully short and wide for that, and 2) the silk fabric is actually quite "stiff". It just doesn't drape the way I think a scarf should.

Of course, I could be completely wrong about that!

pearlsnblume likes this.
  12. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

It's very pretty. Maybe a table runner? Or to drape over a chest, front to back?

Christmasjoy and pearlsnblume like this.
  13. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Thanks, Pat!

Well, maybe a table runner - I thought of that, but again, it seems rather wide and short for that... Then again, perhaps it really WAS meant to drape over a piece of furniture (my idea of a dresser, yours of a chest...)

The pink color, tho, keeps coming back to haunt me. Is pink considered an "acceptable" color in India for home decor? I keep thinking it "should" be a ladies' fashion item, based on the color alone, but the size & shape just don't seem to "fit"...

pearlsnblume and Pat P like this.
  14. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I remember seeing light colors in Indian fabric, but not sure about pink?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  15. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I can not help except to say that it is a lovely color.

Aquitaine likes this.
  16. Aquitaine

I'm thinking someone re-purposed it, and in doing so lined it with the cotton...... also a question....should there be knots in the fringe???

Christmasjoy likes this.
  17. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Pink is a big Thing in indian clothing and furnishings. I don't think it's a dupatta, too short. Probably just meant to be artfully draped over a chair.

Pat P and SBSVC like this.
  18. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Thanks for that, Owned! I think I've settled on "just drape it on a piece of furniture"!

Pat P likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted