Featured Indian Sterling Silver & Turquoise Fly Pin back!

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by thefathand, Nov 24, 2017.

1. thefathand

thefathand Active Member

I got a new Indian piece, not sure if it's Navajo or what tribe it's from, I'm guessing Navajo and it might even say that on the card it came with. Very cool piece for me anyways! I don't really have any questions about it, I mean I could ask if anyone likes it but at my age, it really don't matter if someone else likes it or not, right? 112.gif Here's the piece forum!
    s-l1fly1 600.jpg s-l1fly5 600.jpg s-l1fly2 600.jpg s-l1fly8 600.jpg s-l1fly6 600.jpg s-l1fly7 600.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

not any Navajo item I'm used to seeing.......it's cute though...if ya like flies..:rolleyes:

judy, Any Jewelry and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. thefathand

thefathand Active Member

It must be Hopi then, cause I'm fairly sure it's not Zuni. When I first saw it, I was wondering if it was really 925. There's a coin/jeweler by my house and I had it scanned. Sure enough, it's the real shizzle!!

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Reminds me of a pin I had many years ago. It was a spider with a huge, blue turquoise, midsection.

judy, Any Jewelry and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

A fun piece, Modernist in style.
    It doesn't look specific Hopi, Zuni, or Navajo. That doesn't mean it can't be Native made. There are other tribes in the Southwest, and individuals from non-Southwestern tribes.
    The card is a generic card from the 1970-80s, it also mentions shell, jet and coral. But we don't know if the card originally came with te brooch.
    If it is an NA made brooch, my guess is Navajo Modernist.

komokwa and judy like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i'm not used to seeing that type of pin on native work.....and yes....a generic card.

judy likes this.
  7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Searching around on eBay just now, only items of Native American work that look at all like this are described as Navajo.

judy likes this.
  8. thefathand

thefathand Active Member

Yep, the really cool thing about this is in hand you can see the coloring of the stones very clearly, different colors of turquoise, I'm guessing. What's even better is it's small and I can easily wear it on my hat, jacket or cap. When I wear stuff like this, I make sure ppl will see it! I am proud to be old school, just not so much about getting older. laughhard.gif I never even thought that the card may have not originally been with the piece, but you're right AJ. thumb.gif

komokwa, Any Jewelry and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted