Indiana Glass?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Paula, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Paula

Paula New Member

I have six tea glasses, six sherberts, four wine goblets, and four plates, all matching. I have been told by a collector that this is US Glass or Indiana Glass. I am not an expert so have to rely on their information. This auction is for the entire set (20 pieces) My grandmother gave me this set in 1968, she said she had bought it many years ago. Glasses have three seams on bottom and nine thumbprints, plates have no seams on bottom.... very heavy. I have seen this type of glassware in the cranberry and a few other colors like Gold but have not been able to find this color.... Has anyone ever seen this? I am moving and would like to sell them but not sure about what to say in listing....

Attached Files:

• 055.JPG
      055.JPG
      File size:
      216.2 KB
      Views:
  2. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Here's more than you need to know, but background.
    This design was first issued by Adams Glass Co., Pittsburgh in 1889, they called it X.L.C.R. or Excelsior. Adams joined U. S. Glass Co. in 1891, and they (U S Glass) continued to sell the pattern for a few years. Sometime in the 20th Century, U. S. Glass Co. (now known as Tiffin Glass) reintroduced the pattern, possibly from old molds, possibly from new molds. (I don't know, shouldn't say) This was about Mid Century. At this time, Indiana Glass at Dunkirk Indiana also issued the same wares. Since your pieces have three mold marks they probably were made by U. S. Glass Co., not Indiana, your grandmother's recollection notwithstanding.
    The color on your pieces is an Amber Stain, applied after the glass has been made. The pattern is also found Ruby Stained. Tiffin made it in a purple glass and a yellow glass. I'm not familiar with the glass colors that Indiana made it. Yours, however is crystal glass with Amber Stain.

3. Paula

Paula New Member

THank you so much!!!!! I sure appreciate all the information!

4. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Indiana pattern #77 aka Kings Crown with yellow stain per Schennings book. This is supplement to Cherryhills info.

Bakersgma likes this.
  5. Paula

Paula New Member

6. Paula

Paula New Member

Thanks so much....I sure appreciate it!

7. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Yah, I get tied up in original names, forget about the Also Knowns.

Draft saved Draft deleted