Featured Indonesian carving of couple - age?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Jeff Drum, Nov 24, 2019.

1. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Post for @Any Jewelry ! Saw a carving of a couple today, and wasn't sure whether it was worth going after. In my opinion carving is good, but not great and not art deco. So what about age - does "made in indonesia" label help to date it (vs. Bali on the bottom?) And is there anything else you can get from the label @Any Jewelry ? They are about seven inches tall (the bottom line of the label I think). Sorry about the clutter in the background and that I only got a pic of the man, but they are both there. Thanks!
    IMG_20191123_163652054.jpg IMG_20191123_163706115.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Very nice, Jeff. The carving is certainly good, a beautiful head. The wood looks like teak.
    It still shows Art Deco influence. I think he was made in the late 40s or 50s.
    Since he still shows enough Art Deco style and is from the right period, please feel free to add him and his good lady to the Bali Art Deco thread.:)

I'm afraid I don't know anything about export labels, since the ones we get here were mostly brought here by Dutch Indonesians who migrated to the Netherlands. Some carvings came here as 'import' items, but those were transported inside the Kingdom of the Netherlands (pre-1945), so no export labels.

3. Ronald_D

Ronald_D New Member

Hi Jeff, Such wooden bust couples were often given as a wedding present.

pearlsnblume and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

In the West they are, but it is not a Balinese tradition. The Balinese began to carve those couples for the Western and Javanese markets, inspired by the Javanese Loro Blonyo figures.

The real, Javanese, Loro Blonyos originally have a spiritual meaning. They symbolize unity and harmony and the connection with the life-giving Goddess Dewi Sri.
    Many Javanese homes have a Loro Blonyo in a specially devoted meditation area to promote that spiritual harmony.
    During the Javanese marriage ceremony, the wife and husband ceremonially take the place of Dewi Sri and her consort Sadono. Later, the Loro Blonyo figures resume their place, and represent the wedded couple when they are not home. They also ensure the connection with the divine.

In recent times, Loro Blonyo have come to be seen as decorative figures in many Javanese homes.
    Balinese figures of couples are made to be sold to tourists, they are not part of a Balinese wedding tradition.

An 18th-19th century Loro Blonyo couple from Yogyakarta, Java:

[​IMG]
    https://cs.nga.gov.au/detail.cfm?irn=235905

Last edited: May 27, 2021
  5. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

@Any Jewelry , I keep meaning to comment , last year I discovered the Tielman Brothers, Dutch -Indonesia's gift to the early rock world .... Incredible showmanship and some really skilled rockers.. I feel cheated that I did not know about them in the 70's during the rock-a-billy revival that happened in the USA ....
    sad they are no longer .... I had the privilege to be on the board of directors for 15 years of a major West coast car show / 50's revival and have sat with The Righteous Brothers , The Coasters, Martha Reeves, The Drifters, The Diamonds, and a bunch of others that sadly are no longer with us , and I have to say , what an amazing show it would have been to see them in person.

Back to the Antiques now !

Dan

6. Any Jewelry

Yay!!!!!:singing: Dutch Indonesians had a great influence on Dutch rock music. Their music is called Indo rock, it is influenced by Indonesian kroncong and gamelan music. Most Dutch Indonesians have an artistic streak btw.
    I have a keris that once belonged to the godfather of Indo rock, who was also a mystic. It is one of my most revered kerises.
    But Andy Tielman was the rock god!!!!:happy:

The Tielman brothers adapted a Dutch nursery song into their hit song Little Bird, which is now the anthem of the Dutch Indonesians.
    Wonderful, Fireman!:)

Last edited: May 28, 2021
    Potteryplease likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted