Featured Indonesian coromandel / macassar wood carving / bust

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by aaroncab, Mar 29, 2019.

1. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Finally made it back out to a thrift for the first time in a month the other day and found this guy. Assuming he's a farmer type fellow? I thought this one was well carved and detailed enough (woven hat, muscles and bones / facial features, and he has a nice beard going on) to merit a post here for show and tell if nothing else :) 6" high.

47440143162_78a5b5fbd2_o.jpg 32550971787_598bddfd3c_o.jpg 47440143292_0b59512b83_o.jpg 46769561464_dcff01e1b1_o.jpg 32550971737_5f5f2cd2e1_o.jpg 46577663715_e99eeecca5_o.jpg 32550972717_52865d44e8_o.jpg

2. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Really nice - that hat!
    How do you know it's macassar, @aaroncab ?

i need help and Ghopper1924 like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

well, that's a nice one.
    I'm so used to seeing gals....but he's very well carved....:happy:

i need help, aaroncab and Ghopper1924 like this.
  4. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

You must have an altogether better class of thrifts where you live. I've never seen anything remotely that nice in my local stores.

5. aaroncab

Guess I really don't know for absolute sure, but given I'm sure it's indonesian, and the grain/tone/color heft/solidness of the wood - it's my best guess (mostly learned from @Any Jewelry identifying a couple other pieces of coromandel I previously found) - my understanding is that coromandel and macassar ebony are two names for the same wood.

6. aaroncab

I got this at a store called "B Thrifty" which is a huge mega thrift - they have tons(literally) of clothing and about 5000 items of garbage that sit there and never sell, and occasionally little gems like this that pop up. I find something good about one out of every 20 times I go in there.

7. scoutshouse

I was confused by your spelling :) (cormandel)

Fun word for the day: Antimacassars started out as simple cloth chair backs meant to protect upholstered furniture from macassar hair dressing oil.
    [​IMG]
    And evolved into the frumpier doily :)
    [​IMG]

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

He is beautifully carved, Aaron. I have seen many Balinese 'man with hat' busts, but this one is different. The style of the hat and the long hair underneath don't ring a bell. Could he be Filippino? Some Igorot carvers are very good, and Igorot men traditionally have long hair.

9. aaroncab

You'd certainly know much more than I do about anything to do with this subject :)

I did some googling before I posted and found this fellow:

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-r...-traditional-conical-wicker-hat-32475986.html

Edit:

and a few others:

http://joelsantos.net/?attachment_id=823

https://www.gettyimages.ae/detail/p...ops-ubud-high-res-stock-photography/128113941

EDIT again - I don't find this particular style of hat when modifying my search to be Philippines of Filipino etc... but I'll keep looking.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Ah, you are absolutely right.:) I have been away from Indonesia for too long.:arghh: And I only come across the old carvings here, which have more stylized hats, in keeping with the Art Deco style.

11. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

12. aaroncab

13. aaroncab

I've corrected my "o"mission in the title ;)

14. scoutshouse

First of all, :hilarious::hilarious:!

But, I thought you couldn't edit titles!? :banghead:

Had at least one I'd have liked to have changed!

i need help likes this.
  15. aaroncab

There may be a time limit to editing titles - but I'm not sure. Top of thread - "Thread tools" drop down menu.

Any Jewelry, i need help and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted